My mom can't let me be happy

So I came into the living room and put on some pro wrestling cuz I wanted to watch some and my mom comes in and immediately says “this is the stupidest stuff they ever put on TV Its not real wrestling” and I’m just tired of her crapping all over things I enjoy she wonders why I sit in my room all day it’s so i can enjoy things I love especially things my dad got me into like prowrestling like I have to just shut her down anytime she’s negative now cuz I just can’t deal with it anymore

5 Likes

Hi my friend,
i can relate to that a lot. thank you for sharing.
it is hard to fit in with split interests with someone. i struggle with that in terms of family too.
they should accept that you enjoy it, that you enjoy watching it. it’s nothing wrong with it.
i miss the 90’s wrestling promos. shouting stuff in the microphone what makes no sense, with that little guy holding
in between those giants. i always imagine myself at work, running to our tasks like the ultimate warrior to the ring.
that would be awesome.
take care of yourself, never apologize or let things you love and enjoy get ruined by other people.
it is easier said then done. you do great.
you are loved and you matter most :purple_heart: feel hugged

I’m so sorry for how you’re mom is being like this towards you.

It must be very frustrating that your mother doesn’t seem to respect your interests. It’s fine to give an opinion about something, but always bringing the other person down, or making what they like look bad is not okay. Have you tried talking to her about that and telling her that it hurts and exhausts you? I’m wondering whether it’s also possible that she didn’t complain about your hobbies specifically, but just about the tv program and that it had nothing to do with you. But of course you can assess the situation much better yourself. I think a solution would be to have an open and honest conversation with her, and if that doesn’t help you might have to set some more boundaries (which you already seem to be doing though). I hope you can find a solution that makes you happy.

I know how you feel. My aunt used to be the same way about my interests like anime and video games-- saying it was childish and I needed to grow up. It’s very frustrating to have someone, especially someone you live with, always in the background with negative comments towards something you’re passionate about.

I would advise, as best as you can, to not let it get to you. That is something you shared with your father, it’s something near and dear to you, and I would like to see that continue to be something close in your heart. I will remind you of the worksheets I left on another one of your posts, hoping that they might help you. I’m so sorry your mother said that to you. : - (

Prioritizing your mental health is the right way to go, even (as you said) that means shutting the negativity down. Its not easy, but its for the best in the long run. I’m working on this myself with my own mom. Misery loves it’s company, but you can’t allow anyone to emotionally abuse you like that.

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.