My mom likes to guilt trip me

Just today I noticed again, how controlling and toxic my mom can be. I went to buy some groceries with my dad and we accidentally bought the wrong version of something. At home, my mother immediately yelled at me and started saying, how ‘sad’ she was, that she couldn’t have the thing she wanted. She just kept on saying “I’m so sad… I really wanted it” and when my father offered to go and buy the thing, she just said ‘no’ and turned away from us. She does this a lot, always yelling at me or making me feel guilty for things.
It really stresses me out, because I know, that if my father weren’t as calm as he always is, fights would easily happen between them. I’m just waiting for them to actually fight at some point.

Ughhh im so sorry love. It sucks when people are so passive aggressive that way. Guilt tripping isn’t fair at all especially since you obviously didn’t do it on purpose. I can tell you that my mom is the same way, it is extremely toxic and mentally draining to say the least. Please know that you are not in the wrong. Have you tried talking to her about it? Letting her know how it makes you feel when she does stuff like that? Maybe if she knew how upset it makes you she would try to be more understanding?

Thank you for coming here and for sharing, hang in there darling, you got this!
-Dani

She would just tell me, I’m overreacting and that I’m being too sensitive.

Thats tough, im so sorry you have to deal with that, it is extremely unfair of her to treat you that way. You 100% are not overreacting or being too sensitive.

1 Like