My-psychiatrist-told-me-because-i-took-a-shower-pu - 1274

This is a topic from INSTAGRAM. Reply as normal, and we will post it to the user on Instagram.

Belongs to: https://forum.heartsupport.com/t/38601
my psychiatrist told me because i took a shower, put on real clothes (not pajamas/sweats), and wore makeup that my bipolar disorder wasn’t that bad because this other patient she had couldn’t bring themselves to do that lmao

3 Likes

Chronic illness, whether mental or physical that doesn’t have outward symptoms always seems to be seen as “not that bad”. Why? Isn’t is interesting that the better we become at trying to look “okay” or “normal” (and I use the terms loosely) the less likely we are to be believed when we talk about our illness. When we talk to a provider and get told that we don’t look that bad, it’s soooo frustrating. I’m impressed with your strength to persevere, to care for yourself and be as healthy as you can be. Please keep taking care of you and thank you for sharing.

1 Like

Wow this person is extremely below the line. I can’t count how many days I’ve dragged myself out of bed and out in make up to hide how tired I am from screaming and crying all night.
Your struggle is so valid and to be invalidated by a professional of all people is not okay. I hope you spoke to them or reported that behaviour.

I’m proud that you do find the strength to get out of your pyjamas and put in make up. I’m proud that you reached out and that you’re willing to talk about those hard things.

2 Likes

This is such an awful and dismissing thing to say, especially from a professional. First off for taking steps forward as something that would question your initial diagnosis, but also for making comparison between their clients. That’s just wrong. There is no such thing as a scale of suffering that would make one’s struggles more valid or real than another. A diagnosis is just a diagnosis, and behind it there’s a human being, a unique person who’s life is going to be impacted differently.

In their perspective, anyone who’d be high functioning wouldn’t be having any mental health struggle, which is so untrue. There’s also the pressure of our society, of relationships, of work that sometimes force us to be on a survival mode and handle our daily commitments. The person’s who’s showing up at work every day and is performant, yet ends up at the end of the day on their own, struggling and depressed – is still going through emotions and pain that are part of their reality. If there is something that remains with mental health, it is that not everything can be seen or visible to the eyes, and someone like a psychiatrist should be even more aware of that than anyone.

For what it’s worth from a stranger like me, I want and choose to celebrate those steps that you’ve taken for yourself, because that’s what matters the most! Shower, makeup, clean clothes – these are major steps and efforts, something to be proud of and to celebrate WITH you! Not everyone may see or embrace what it means to get to that point while living with bipolar disorder, but rest assured that we do here. The fact that you’ve been showing up for youself and taking care of yourself is truly inspiring.

I hope that things can get better with your psychiatrist, or that you find someone who is going to support you in ways that serve you best. In any case, know that you are loved and you matter – through all the good and bad days. <3

2 Likes