Back to heartsupport

My Safety Plan (doing this was so hard)

HeartSupport Safety Plan

This is my 7-step plan to keep me safe in difficult moments I face. I’ve thought through these steps in advance to make it easier for myself to get help when I need it.

STEP 1 - Warning Signs

Signs that a crisis may be developing (thoughts, images, mood, situation, behavior).

• Sign 1 - When I start cleaning and throwing things away.
  • Sign 2 - Intrusive thoughts about “how” it will happen.
  • Sign 3 - Feelings of being overwhelmed with despair.
  • Sign 4 - Starting to “decide” if I should cut or not
  • Sign 5 - Remembering each scar on my arm
  • Sign 6 - When my rape nightmares start.

STEP 2 - Internal Coping Strategies

Things I can do to take my mind off problems without contacting another person (relaxation technique, physical activity, etc.)

• Strategy 1 - Calm Harm app
  • Strategy 2 - Petting my therapy cat and focusing on how his fur feels on my hand
  • Strategy 3 - journaling or writing a short story
  • Strategy 4 - drawing Ts
  • Strategy 5 - sitting on the ground outside and focusing on all the sounds around me instead of what’s going on in my head.
  • Strategy 6 - playing games where I have to farm, clean or decorate.
  • Strategy 7 - using my mindfulness and breathing technique tools

STEP 3 - Worth Living For

Things that are most important to me and worth living for (these can be big or small, anything from loved ones to your morning coffee)

• Live For 1 - My Son
  • Live For 2 - My loved ones
  • Live For 3 - Helping other people
  • Live For 4 -
  • Live For 5 -

STEP 4 - Supporters

People whom I can ASK FOR HELP (friends or family who you can call at anytime for support)

• Supporter 1 - My Boyfriend
  • Supporter 2 - My Parents
  • Supporter 3 - My Son

STEP 5 - Professional Help

Professionals or agencies I can contact in a crisis

• Name & Number of Clinician - ER
  • Preferred Crisis Service (Choose one of the below)
    • (Call) Suicide Prevention Lifeline - 1-800-273-TALK (8255)

STEP 6 - Safe Environment

Things I can do to make the environment safe

• Safety 1 - Avoiding even more… violent media
  • Safety 2 - Order out instead of cooking
  • Safety 3 - Putting the normal “tools” out of sight.
  • Safety 4 - Hanging out with my BF in the other room

STEP 7 - My Signature

By inputting my forum username below, I am committing to utilizing this safety plan in my next high intensity moment when I need support.

@Lizzy

6 Likes

I commend you for the hard work that went into this!
I like how encompassing it is, and genuinely hope it helps.

Wishing you many joyful moments ahead friend :slight_smile:

2 Likes

That’s so good Lizzy, really proud of you. you are so supportive of everyone, it is really good to see that you have a plan in place to help support you. We of course are here to support you too. :heart:xx

2 Likes

Thank you. It took everything I had to not delete it.

2 Likes

so glad you left it up! i can see a lot of value in it!

2 Likes

Well done @Mystrose, not only for doing it - with all the energy that it takes -, but also for sharing it and not deleting it. Each step of that process is huge, and that is something to be proud of.

You made me realize how much I relate to the “avoiding even more violent media”, and that is something I’ll keep in mind for myself as well. This is so important yet also has such a sneaky effect if we don’t pay attention. Thank you.

As a reminder: you are loved. You belong. And it’s an honor to see you in this community. Thank you for the love you share, but also for your vulnerability, and overall for being you. :hrtlegolove:

2 Likes

Thank you for your kind words :hrtlegolove:

I’m glad that you were able to get something out of it. Seeing people and animals die or get hurt is very, very, very disturbing to me. It puts images in my head that I can’t deal with when I’m feeling mentally weak. So, yeah that’s a big one for me and first on my list.

I’d also like to remind you that you’re loved and you belong too. You’re dedication and wise words are very valued here by me and I bet everyone else. :hrtlegolove:

3 Likes