My Struggle: Startle Response Disorder (Undiagnosed)

Well, it’s that time of the year again - 4th of July is just around the corner and early celebratory fireworks are beginning to go off in the neighborhood…F’ing anxiety/nervousness is through the roof and it’s not helping with my startle response disorder (which is undiagnosed). I know I should speak to a Dr. about this, but I honestly dont know if I can bring myself to do it. This is something that’s affected my life since childhood and over the years it’s been steadily getting worse…to the point of having to deal with instances of fleeting suicidal thoughts. (END)

Question: Has anyone within this community (or outside) gone through or is currently going through a similar situation?

2 Likes

I am so glad to see someone bring up fireworks. Last night someone was setting off fireworks in my neighborhood and I thought, “Oh no, it’s starting already…” People around town bring them out at all times of the year for no reason, and when a major holiday is coming up, it’s weeks before and at least a week after.

I have PTSD. I have a bad reaction to loud noises. And fireworks are terrible. Generally I start by jumping out of my skin, and until people are done setting them off, I’m usually in a full blown anxiety attack. They’re just so loud. It feels like they’re trying to boom right through my soul, if that makes any sense. It’s not as bad if it’s in a town that’s farther away.

I think your right in that it would be a good idea to talk to your doctor about your response. I know that’s easier to say than do. But I hope you can find the nerve to do it.