Needing Organizing Advice

I’m having a horrid time trying to get things decluttered with what I own. I have so much and my room is always disorganized. I get so much trouble with my aunt for having things out of place or cluttered but, I have so much stuff that I can’t fit everything in places. Plus, I buy so many notebooks, binders, planners, etc with pretty covers and patterns that I never use them. I think I just like the pretty designs.

I want less stuff but I don’t want stuff that’s still in good conditions like the planners and such to just get thrown away.

I’m just so overwhelmed with my things that I shut down.

4 Likes

Hi crescentfallen,
thank you for sharing, and reaching ou to us.
I think we all know how that feels, to get not started with organizing or managing stuff.
in my eyes, the first and most important step is to get your self the discipline to do that. a little step, a small
change can help you throughout your day. but also you have to build up that routine for yourself.
for me, what helped me most is writing stuff down, not only my toughts that worry me, also my things that
need to be done. when they are done you can mark them or line through them.
this will take effort, but also improve your daily life. i usually do that, when i arrive home after work, take myself
a few min out, with no device and just write stuff down.
i hope that this might help you come to a solution.
you matter most my friend and you are loved. have a wonderful day and feel hugged :purple_heart:

1 Like

Hi @crescentfallen

I think a lot of people have this problem and it can be frustrating. One thing that might help you get organized is to buy those stackable drawers, bins, milk crates or even just nice boxes. You can go thru your things and separate them by type and how often they are used. You can throw away things that haven’t been used in a year or whatever time frame you want.

For me, I have to be in the mood to do this type of stuff, so don’t beat yourself up if you don’t feel like it or it seems overwhelming. You can also do a small section of your room each day if it feels like it’s just too much.

Thanks for posting! You matter!

Unfortunately a lot of the “I have to be in the mood” scenario is overruled by my OCD bipolar aunt. I just can’t seem to actually get things cleaned and organized— I’m lucky I can even keep a job at this rate.

I’m so tired and I don’t want to end up like a mini episode of hoarders.

Whats Up Crescent,

Decluttering can be fun! It’s actually a really good way to free up space in your brain to think better. True stuff.

My general rule of thumb for whenever I go through my annual decluttering is I ask myself what kind of energy / vibe / emotion does this (object) give me?

If it’s something that is tied to a memory that was unpleasant - bye bye.

If it’s something like a nice shirt that I feel good wearing - keepin this!

If it’s things like notebooks and binders, maybe go through and see which ones are your favorite. Sort out the ones that don’t immediately make you feel good about something.

Decide whether or not to keep those items and if you don’t - donate them to a nearby school!!

Schools are always keen on getting as much free supplies as they can get. If you have notebooks with pretty designs on them and that are cool colors that just aren’t vibin with you any more, some kid could pick one up and think it’s the coolest thing ever and the perfect science binder!

Hope this helps! :slight_smile:

A lot of my stuff is mostly generic stuff, so there’s not really pleasant/unpleasant memories attached to stuff. I am giving off the stuff I got my ex to a friend to give to him, though. I’m tired of seeing the manila envelope in my room. Yeah, I’m gonna donate a lot of my old school stuff that’s still gonna work for some kid that might need it. I’ve just been… I guess apathetic about anything and everything. I don’t want to do anything anymore, it feels like.

1 Like

Decluttering is really hard for me too, I get what you mean. It feels too hard to try when you have so much stuff. And yet, because I don’t try to clean it, it just piles up anyway.

I don’t know if it’ll work for you, but here’s something I try to do to make cleaning a tiny bit easier.

I choose a pretty small main thing to do and set a timer for five minutes.

For example, let’s say, cleaning my pencil case. I set a timer for five minutes and do it.
If I’m done before five minutes is up, I give myself a big treat.
If I’m not and don’t want to keep going, I stop and give myself a quick break or try to do something else.
If I’m not done but I want to keep going, I keep going until I’m either done or tired.

It may seem a bit ridiculous to do something like this for little tasks, but it makes you start doing something, anything at all, and I think that’s great. It is a slow process, but a tiny step is better than none.

Anyway, organizing everything to decide what to donate seems like a big task. I recommend breaking it down into specific categories, like only doing planners for today.

Sorry if I rambled! I hope this helps even a little bit :D! Good luck with your endeavours.

(P.S. Another tip is to always have water nearby. It helps with motivation for me, so it might help ya too.)

1 Like

I’m proud of you for taking action towards getting things taken care of in both this post and the other one about the medical issues.

Apathy is a drug like emotion that can take it’s toll if left unchecked. I totally get why you’ve reached that place, I’ve been there, but try and revisit things you love(d) to do. I think this video sums up pretty well what would take me a book to try and explain… lol …

1 Like

I still need to actually read replies, but I wanted to update everyone and let them know my aunt went into my room, sent me pictures of it while I’m at work, and told me “Seriously this is clean? You can get a storage shed to put your stuff in”-- which I would be fine with at this rate- but I know it’s just going to be an argument when I get home.

I work 40 hour work weeks. I’m full-time. Which yeah, is normal. I’m starting up Doordash again for some extra cash on the side. I’m also struggling a lot emotionally and mentally, but my family doesn’t understand because I “have no reason to be stressed and depressed”. I did laundry last night for both my aunts and me, and I couldnt finish mine until I went to work. I was exhausted just by doing laundry. I didn’t sleep until 3am last night. I’m trying, but it’s so stressful and I am so incredibly exhausted. I honestly just want to throw all my stuff away at this rate because then she won’t have anything to yell at me about anymore. I can’t clean stuff I’ve accumulated through living in three houses that takes up two rooms in a couple hours. Everyone here has 1/5th or so of stuff compared to me. It’s so hard and I don’t even want to go home. I feel like if I could sleep as soon as I got home, and wake up at 2am or whatever and then worked, I’d feel so much better than trying to do it as soon as I get home. But I’m not allowed to make my own sleep schedule.

I’m 25 years old and she treats me like a 10 year old. I’m sick of it.

1 Like