Nicotine addiction

I’ve realized that I have a nicotine addiction. I’m only 20 but I’ve realize that every night before I can fall asleep I’ve had to vape until I get a nicotine buzz going in order to be able to relax. I don’t want to be addicted to it but it just helps me calm down and I’m afraid that I’m going to be the next person who dies from vaping or something scary like that. I just don’t want to go down that road but I don’t know how to stop either I just want to end the need for it and be able to relax and calm down naturally but I’m not sure how any advice or help would be greatly appreciated I do want to stop and I do want help

1 Like

Hey @Livingyetdoubting! Good to meet you :slight_smile:

Addiction is a hell of a thing, but it’s great that you’re cognizant of it now before it can get the best of you. How you proceed will depend a lot on your personality - figuring out what works for you might take a bit of experimentation, but you’ll get there with some perseverance! :slight_smile:

My first piece of advice would be to pay very close attention to how you feel throughout your body and in your mind during the whole process, at every step. That means that when you feel the restlessness and cravings coming on, taking just a moment to sit with that feeling and really letting yourself feel it before you proceed, then doing the exact same thing as you’re using your vaporizer, and then again after you’ve used it.

From there, it’s about slowly reforming those habits. My brother, for example, goes outside and sits on his phone every couple of hours instead of having a cigarette. Starting this off can be as simple as recognising the cravings and deciding to do something nice that you like in response, before you get the vaporiser. This really helped him - I hope it’ll help you too :slight_smile:

Some people find success by quitting all at once, and others prefer to slowly cut down on their usage. Again, figuring out what works for you and the pace at which you need to move is an important part of the journey. Even if it’s 1% less every day, in nearly two months you’ve cut your vaping down by half and you might not even feel the difference. The important thing for cutting down slowly is that you really need to have restraint or it’s easy to pick back up again.

I don’t know enough about vaporisers to make an informed statement on their safety, but it’s good that you’re aware of what’s happening around you, and that you’re being cautious. If you’re really concerned, I’d recommend looking into nicotine replacements - things like gum, patches, sprays, all might help.

Quitting anything that you feel compelled to come back to is very difficult, and setbacks are almost a given. But I promise, it gets easier the more you work at it. You’ll be so strong you can hardly believe it by the end :wink:

Good luck! :heart: Feel free to post more or shoot me a message if you wanna talk more.

3 Likes