Not belonging

I just don’t feel like I belong anywhere and I don’t know what to do about it.

3 Likes

You exist. That’s evidence that you belong. Finding a place in the world is an ongoing process, yet in the meantime, you belong on the journey. You’re surrounded by fellow travelers, many of whom also don’t feel a sense of belonging. Nothing may feel like a fit in your locality, but even there, the possibility of finding your niche is quite high. Sometimes you belong in circumstances that don’t fit, because they provide the opportunity to gain experience, wisdom and self-knowledge.

You also have the choice of deciding whether or not you fit wherever you are. I’ve convinced myself that I’m exactly where I’m supposed to be, even if it’s sitting in traffic. Perhaps you belong in a situation in which you can help others in some way.

We can belong someplace for a while, then no longer belong there, because the experience has yielded its maximum benefit.

You belong here, with us. Welcome!

I agree with everything you said, I have no arguments. The specific issue I’m having, I’m having trouble just being myself out in the world and even here on the internet. I have a terrible habit of just holding everything in that it seem I may be a burden to my friends and family.

You’d think I’d be able to talk to my friends, especially since what friends I have are from church, but it’s been really difficult. I’ll admit I isolate myself at times and I push people away, but my personality is so different then my friends it’s just a struggle.

What sucks the most is that even my hobbies and interests are just so different outside of church that it’s a struggle to connect with people. It sucks.

1 Like

So, you’re an introvert, as am I. Your personality is different because you spend more time thinking and listening. I understand holding things in. You really have to trust someone in order to open up to them. Maybe those around you don’t seem ready for that investment of trust. On the other hand, they might be more ready to be trusted than you are to trust. I tend to open up a little at a time. Some self-disclosure helps others feel more comfortable sharing their feelings in return.

Introverts tend to be good listeners, once they accept and are comfortable with their own unique perspectives, that have evolved as a result of having taken more time than is typical for reflection. Good listeners are in short supply, therefore, you not only belong, you’re also a blessing. That your personality is different from your friends is also a blessing. If we’re all alike, it gets boring, and we don’t grow as much.

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.