Not sure what the next step is

Ever since I graduated college I feel like I’ve had no direction in life; I just kinda go with the flow and see what happens. So far that’s landed me an internship, a couple jobs, and a decent apartment. And now with my current job, I was looking to get promoted to management but unfortunately I did not get it. There’s still a good chance in the future but I just haven’t been taking it well. I thought for sure I was going to get it and this would be the next step to grow. I really want to stop being so hard on myself and trust that God has something better but it’s incredibly difficult to shake the feeling. And when I feel this way I can’t help but also feel demotivated to work on anything else. And then I feel guilty for being so lazy. In my head I know there’s a positive side to all this but it’s battling with all these negative thoughts that just seem stronger. I’m not sure what to do at this point.

1 Like

Hi friend,

I’m sorry you are having a hard time right now. And I’m sorry that you didn’t get the promotion you were hoping for. Don’t lose hope, friend. I know it sucks when things don’t quite work out how we had hoped when we had hoped it would, but this doesn’t mean that you won’t get it. You know? Not this time, but keep working at it! Don’t give up! Sometimes the rewards we thrive for come at a time we least expect it and not always when we want it. It sucks but it’s okay.

But it’s completely understandable to feel deflated by it.

Working on a positive attitude when we are feeling so defeated and run down can be so hard. I know that all too well. It’s hard to think positive when things feel so crappy or we’re feeling like we aren’t good enough. But we can’t let ourselves dwell in these things for too long or we get stuck in a dark cloud and trap ourselves in a miserable state.

It’s important for us to try to surround ourselves with things that make us feel good and hang onto to those things. It’s hard. I’ve currently been struggling with it myself. But we have to keep pushing forward even when the cards we are played are less than ideal. We use these things to make us stronger. In the moment it doesn’t feel good but you can push through this. Keep working hard, do the best that you can, put your best foot forward and one day you will receive what you are looking for. Keep working for it. Don’t give up. :heart:

I know none of this resolves everything. And it probably doesn’t completely help, but I want you to know that I care. That I’m here and you don’t have to go at this alone. As you go through the challenges life throws at you, we are here to walk beside you. We all have challenges we are getting through and we can all get through them together.

You are important and valued. Don’t forget that. Don’t let missing the promotion this time around make you feel otherwise. You’ll get it. Keep working hard and keep your head up.

Hold fast

Hey friend I definitely understand these feelings. Not getting the promotion you expected or the job you thought you were a perfect fit for can be so disheartening and frustrating. But from what I’ve found is not having one promotion or job usually lead to me finding a better opportunity. Just like @anon17277947 said a lot of the time rewards we receive or opportunities can come at the least expected times. It sounds to me like you definitely have a good head on your shoulders and will be successful in things you want to do. Being able to kind of go with the flow and make things work even when they may not be the perfect scenario is such an amazing thing to be able to do.

Don’t feel guilty for feeling unmotivated, I don’t think anyone can be motivated all the time. We all need a break sometimes and there is absolutely nothing wrong with taking that break. I do understand that is much easier for someone else to tell us because I do the same thing.

You are loved friend, no matter what you decide to do with your life professionally or personally. <3

2 Likes

Hey, it’s okay to feel unmotivated at times. There’s no reason to have to be go go go go all the time. It’s actually kind of unhealthy to be running all the time, and it makes sense that a person taking care of themselves would take a step back from time to time.

Sometimes we really expect or hope things to go a certain way, especially career-related opportunities. When it doesn’t go the way we envisioned it or expected it, even if that expectation is subconscious, we get really down. I think that “down” feeling hits everyone differently, and the severity certainly depends on the specific news you got. Sometimes it’s harder than others to have faith in God that He has something better. But God truly does work in mysterious ways, and rarely in the way that we expect. Finding and keeping the faith can be hard sometimes, but it’s important to know that it’s okay to not have strong faith all the time. Even with faith as small as a mustard seed, you can move mountains (paraphrasing Matthew 17:20).

It really seems like you’ve been doing great things and working hard. It’s okay to take a break, and then even continue going with the flow as you said. There’s nothing wrong with that, and I really believe you’ll figure it out. You got this <3

2 Likes