“Obligations”

The other day my partner told me he felt obligated to take me everywhere he goes and I felt quite hurt by that I just see it as respectful if he’s doing something I feel like he could at least tell me hey I’m gunna do this so I can find something to do or invite me to come because our friend group is mutual or Another thing he Could do is simply respecting me by saying hey this girl added me are u okay with this because we’ve had issues in the past I don’t know if I’m in the wrong for thinking that but I just find it’s more respectful to communicate with ur partner the things u do in ur life and the people u have in ur life please tell me if I’m wrong or right or give any advice u can I just want to feel the same amount of effort from him as I put Into this relationship

2 Likes

I think the best policy in relationships is to take time to identify your feelings and then clearly communicate them to your partner. He’s not going to know if you feel hurt, or what you want him to communicate to you. I have had similar experiences of feeling like I put more effort into a relationship than my partner, and I stewed about it for a long time, which really hurt my mental state. When we finally had a frank conversation about it, it helped me decide what to do going forward.

1 Like

I understand feeling hurt when your partner views it as an obligation to spend time with you, that really sucks. Did you talk to them about it, and were they understanding of your feelings? I hope y’all can get to a point where you understand each other’s needs and are able to respect each others boundaries as well!

Have you guys tried couples therapy? If not, you might consider it. I find it very helpful to have a 3rd-party, unbiased perspective that we can both give our full story to.

1 Like