Perfection is not possible and that’s okay

Don’t you just love it when people insinuate or flat out tell you that you shouldn’t own something that’s “professional” quality because you don’t know anything about how to use it properly? Isn’t it great when they tell you that you should go back to something simple and basic as though you’re a child who has no idea of the challenge you’ve purposely given yourself? How wonderful it is for people to assume that only perfection is worth showing to the world!

“Embrace the suck.” Learn your first chords on your journey to be a rockstar on that expensive af Martin guitar. Save your money and let the first car you learn how to drive/own be a Porsche. Do a live-stream (not while driving :wink: ) with the most scuffed equipment you can find. Plant a garden of exotic flowers even though you live in a place with Buffalo, NY level winters.

Who gives a :poop: what the “experts” think. If you’re having fun, if you tried to do something new (whether you “succeeded” or “failed”), or if you made at least one person smile or joyful, it’s not a waste of time, money, energy, or effort. Your endeavor is not a waste of anything. It’s your time, spend it how you want to.

Embrace the suck.

*P.S. - I wrote this post after I received a sort of “holier than thou” kind of condescending backhanded piece of “advice” on something that I did for fun. And it struck a raw nerve that keeps getting attacked in my life - people have this idea that they need to point out my flaws “as if I don’t already see them”. Like I needed one more reason to hate myself today :upside_down_face:
I’m back to fighting this battle with perfection that I’m always fighting. I was thinking that I wanted to make a video that was intentionally scuffed for the sake of humor; like, I was gonna be okay with the obviousness of myself being imperfect and just do it because it would be fun and maybe even -gasp- relatable. But then I got that comment and now I feel like I’m going to be up all night analyzing everything I’ve done wrong in my life over the past decade. Thanks, random internet person.

But I hope that the first half of this post gives someone some encouragement :joy:

7 Likes

Thank you. The first half of your post was very encouraging and I needed to hear it personally.
As far as ruminating over what random internet person said, I personally wouldn’t think too much about it honestly. I guarantee you they are not thinking about you so don’t give your power to that person. Take bake control of your thoughts, try to embrace positivity, and nice forward with the attitude of the first half of this post. Every day is a journey into being better than you were the day before. Embrace it.

Take care

2 Likes

I’m glad that I could encourage you, and thank you for your encouraging words :blush:

Oof. That’s such an interesting topic. Thank you for this.

“Experts”. I hate this word with passion. It gives this idea that someone reached THE ultimate level of knowledge about something. Which is nonsense. And so destructive in some workfields… We’re only experts of our own stories, of ourselves. Everything else is just about intuition, knowledge, experiences, perceptions… which is all relative, not permanent. At least, in my opinion.

Doing life doesn’t require any degree or skill. Period.

Keep doing what you like! No matter what. This person who commented is probably not aware of your struggles with perfection either. In any case, you can still decide which space you allow it to take in your mind. It produced something interesting though: this post. Your reaction. It’s not pleasant to be triggered like this, but somehow the comment you received makes you reflect on what you don’t want and what you don’t believe in. I’m not saying: be grateful for being treated in a condescending manner, of course not. I just think that sometimes people who are annoying to us in one way or another shows us, at least, what we don’t want to be. There’s something really positive in this post that you shared. I bet you’re incredibly encouraging when people you know share something with you. :slight_smile:

You stepped out of your comfort zone with this video! That’s something no one could take away from you. It’s YOURS. You can be proud of yourself. :hrtlegolove:

2 Likes

It can be especially destructive in any sort of creative field, whether it’s “professionals” or hobbyists. Like, just let people create and learn and have fun however they want to. It doesn’t have to be linear.

When I was younger, there was this thing in school where students would be tested on how quickly they could finish a sheet of math problems. It started out with a timed addition sheet, the next test would be subtraction, and then multiplication, and finally division.
I could never get past the subtraction test. I knew I could complete the multiplication and division tests, but they wouldn’t let me “skip ahead” to the supposedly higher difficulty tests because “that’s the rules.” By the time I was able to complete the subtraction test, they weren’t running the other tests anymore. Because of this, I never got the certificate that a lot of the other kids did for being able to complete all the tests. On some level, I still get sad about this even today.
Even in my adulthood, there are times when I do things “out of order” or I’m unable to do what seems basic but I can do the more difficult things that others can’t.

Yesterday, I had left a comment on someone’s video about how I was thankful that I could relate to their opinions. Some of the people in the video replied with some encouraging words and it felt like the warmest hug. It felt like things evened out after the negativity of the other day.

Something kind of unlocked in me and I now feel inspired to make another video that I’ve been thinking about. It’ll be tough, totally weird, awkward, and scuffed, but I was like, you know what? I dgaf. This is something that’s gonna be fun and make me happy. If anyone wants to critique my oddness, that’s their problem. This next one’s for me.

1 Like

It can be especially destructive in any sort of creative field, whether it’s “professionals” or hobbyists. Like, just let people create and learn and have fun however they want to. It doesn’t have to be linear.

Totally! Not mentioning the devastating impact that some so called “experts” in managment are doing in many work places… “I have a fresh managment diploma and I’m more qualified than you, who worked in this company for 25 years, and I’m going to tell you how to do your job now”. 8)

About creativity, you’re totally right. It just goes against one of its main purpose: freedom! Curiosity, exploration - of this world, of ourselves. No need to follow any rules, except the ones we create for ourselves.

When I was younger, there was this thing in school where students would be tested on how quickly they could finish a sheet of math problems. It started out with a timed addition sheet, the next test would be subtraction, and then multiplication, and finally division.

Jeez, that’s such a destructive process. Totally arbitrary. I can understand why it’s something you still remember, and still feel sad about it. Kids need to explore! Not evaluations. Ugh.

Some of the people in the video replied with some encouraging words and it felt like the warmest hug. It felt like things evened out after the negativity of the other day.

That’s awesome! Super glad to hear that. Especially since Internet is not always the best place to receive kind or loving encouragment. D:

Something kind of unlocked in me and I now feel inspired to make another video that I’ve been thinking about. It’ll be tough, totally weird, awkward, and scuffed, but I was like, you know what? I dgaf. This is something that’s gonna be fun and make me happy. If anyone wants to critique my oddness, that’s their problem. This next one’s for me.

Theeeeere you go! You got this! :muscle: Keep being awesome.

1 Like