Please Help Me

My sister is gaining wait because she has an eating disorder, and she wants me to help her, but I am not skilled and I cannot help. It really hurts not to be able to help someone.

1 Like

Hey @Pengyou ,

I’m sorry your sister is struggling with an eating disorder. It’s hard to see someone we love struggling yet not knowing how to help or support them. Know that it’s okay to not be skilled regarding her eating disorder. We can’t be everything for everyone and there is no shame for that.

As a sibling, the best you can do is to let her know that she is not alone. Also to encourage her to seek professional help - or to talk to your parents about it if you’re a minor. I have a history of eating disorders myself, and I can assure you that one of the most fundamental thing on recovery is to know that we are not alone, that we are loved, that people believe in us and our capacity to heal. It helps to break the shame and loneliness that goes with it. The very fact that she talked to you shows that she might be willing to receive help. But when it’s about emotional and physical healing like in your sister’s situation, the help has to be provided by professionals.

Your sister is very lucky to have you by her side. To care about her that much. But it’s important to take care of yourself too. Knowing our limits is part of being supportive to the people we love. That way, we can encourage them to seek the right help at appropriate places. Your sister can even come here in this community if she needs some extra encouragement during this journey.

She is not alone. You are not alone. :heart:

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.