Post holiday depression

Hey everyone, I hope you are all well! Thank you for such an awesome website and community involvement. As a bit of a background, I am a follower of Christ, but I struggle a lot with an eating disorder, self loathing, anxiety, and depression. I am in treatment as well as medication, but I’m sure I’ll post here pretty often :).

For this particular topic, I am worried about going into a bad depression after the holidays are over. I do not want to put my wife through that, but sometimes worrying about the prospect of bringing others down worsens the depression. Any encouraging words, or thoughts on handling the post holiday depression would be wonderful.

Thanks and God bless!

5 Likes

Hey @Endurant_316

Welcome to HeartSupport!! We are glad that you found your way to us. Feel free to post as often as you need to. We are here to support you and cheer you on as you go throughout this crazy journey called life.

I have a question for you: Is there a certain aspect of the holidays that makes you feel down?

Post holiday depression is a pretty normal thing to experience. The holidays remind us of those who we love most and cultivate an atmosphere of community and belonging. Then when go back to the regular swing of life, it can feel like we have lost that community we had during the holidays. It can feel like the joy of the season is gone. I don’t have all the answers, as I understand your struggle as well, but one thing that I would suggest is to try to bring the gratitude you have during the holidays into January and the coming new year. Having an attitude of gratitude (I’m sorry how cheesy that is) can really help you focus your mind on the positives and therefore, put that post holiday depression at bay. I also try to look at the new year as a fresh start. A time to reflect on what worked and didn’t work in 2020 and change myself for the better in 2021.

I know that one thing to be grateful for is the fact that you are in treatment. That is an incredible step and I am SO SO SO proud of you for making it. I know it is not easy to admit you need help, but it can be one of the most life changing things you do. I know it was for me.

Keep pushing forward and feel free to keep coming back if you need to support.

Hold fast. I believe in you

1 Like

Thanks a lot Sarah! I think a lot of it is what you said, the feeling of things being over, that loss of community, etc.

The attitude of gratitude doesn’t sound cheesy at all :). It’s something I’ve been trying to do repeatedly, but it never ‘felt’ right, if that makes sense. It always seemed…disingenuous? It is kind of this catch 22 for me, where I want to be happy so that I don’t bring down those I love, but my loved ones can easily see when I am ‘faking it.’ I know the post holiday blues is something others struggle with too, but I want to be in a position to comfort, rather than the one who needs comforting, you know? I really would love for that change to happen soon.

In any case, thanks so much Sarah, and everyone else taking the time to read this.

Blessings!

2 Likes

Sending you love and hope. I just want to take a moment to celebrate you for a moment. Taking steps to help with your mental health like treatment is so important. And talking about it might not be fun but it’s so much better than the possibility of things getting worse. Taking the steps you need to make sure you stay healthy and in recovery post holiday season is so important. Also know you can always post on here if you need someone to confide in post holiday time. Again, sending you light and love!

Cassie

1 Like

@Endurant_316

I understand how you feel. I went through depression episodes during the holiday seasons. I do have the thought in the back in my head if I am going to go through it again. I remind myself tomorrow is another day. Whatever you are going through, it will end soon. You are loved by God and this community. I hope you are staying safe. Thank you for sharing your story. You are blessed! So go and be a blessing!

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.