Progress with a friend that I have been helping

Hey everyone,

This is the first time I have actually posted about some progress I had in some way, so I would like to share this with you guys. A friend of mine who has a lot of depression, anxiety symptoms and even PTSD from a lot of abuse and trauma from the past and I had a suspicion that he could have schizophrenia, because of the maniac episodes he legit would have, and I even recently saw him have one when we talked online, and it was heartbreaking to watch to be honest, he even himself thinks he has schizophrenia. But with the former of the two diagnosis, I didn’t want to say for certain, because I wasn’t sure, and I am not a doctor, but yeah I think that is the case. And to add to it, he lives in a really emotionally shit environment that is anti-mental health and is very judgmental of him if he dares to seek help, whether it could be a hotline or other sources of help. Fortunately, he turned 18,which means he can go to a doctor or seek medical professionals without his parents controlling him or bothering them about it, in fact he booked an appointment with his doctor, and it is scheduled for next week. To tell you the truth, I’m really happy about their progress, because at times I felt that he will not be able to live a good life, but thank god, with perseverance and patience, things are really looking up. I’m really happy and proud of myself(and that is quite rare, mind you) and him, for working together to get him to talk to professionals. I feel like a proud teacher or sibling to be honest, I am legitimately happy that he is going to be a success story you know. The only thing remaining is that he communicates properly with their doctor about their issue, and I did tell him that he needs to tell them his symptoms and what he is feeling, but any advice on how to not fuck this up will be appreciated my friends, he is so close to getting help, I hope we don’t fuck it up at the end.

7 Likes

Just keep encouraging him, and remind him that with work and help he CAN have a better life. As you already know, sometimes just being able to listen and understand - and do so with zero judgment - is one of the most important things you can offer someone.

2 Likes

You have been a good friend to them Xavier they are lucky to have you. I always hate it when I see people ignoring mental health and putting their kids through so much suffering. Luckily they can leave that toxic environment now and seek help. :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

Hey there @Xavier1

I’m so glad you have been such a supportive friend. I wish there were more folks out there that were willing to take that journey with each other to be our best selves.

Your friend is definitely heading in a good direction, I would advise that the doctor may not be able to address everything in one appointment. Sometimes it takes multiple appointments and a referral to another professional to get the help you need.

I would recommend the following for day of appointment:

• write down symptoms, experiences, and questions
  • ask for a followup or referral if it is not offered
  • if prescribed a medication ask questions on what to expect from the doctor and the pharmacy. It’s important in order for it to be successful.

Good luck to you both, thank you for sharing/Mish

3 Likes

hi xavier! thank you for sharing this incredible and inspiring progress. your friend is very lucky to have a caring, supportive, and encouraging friend like you, especially considering his home life and how unsupportive they are. the best thing you can do for your friend is continue loving and supporting him like you have. the impact you’re making on his life is so appreciated. as long as he knows that the doctors are only there to help him, and to talk openly bout things, there is now way this can fail. i am proud of the both of you. please keep us posted on how things go fo him as well as update us on how you are. wishing you the best of weeks ahead, xavier. love, twix

4 Likes

Hi Friend, Thank you for your wonderful post, May I first say what a wonderful supportive, kind and caring friend you are and how I wish everyone who needed someone had a friend like you in their corner. It seems between you, you have both come a long way in helping your friend and now he is old enough managing to secure an appointment with a medical professional which is fantastic. You ask for any advice? Well my advice to you is keep doing what you are doing, listen to what the medical professional has to say and keep being the amazing person you are already being, hopefully every thing else will fall into place. I am so pleased that you are proud of yourself by the way because I am proud of you too. so well done. Take care Much Love Lisa x

4 Likes