Question about thoughts

Does anybody mind just give them the worst scenarios to the point you are scared and its going to happen. Or it takes completely over only to leave you more afraid? I would to know what to do if you all have any advice because it’s taking me alive. Thanks

2 Likes

The way I always dealt with it was to go to sleep. That may not have been the most therapeutic way to go, but at least it turned my brain off for just a little while, enough to reset.

Otherwise, here’s an article on things to do during a panic attack, which I think can help with runaway thoughts too. These are tried and true coping methods. I hope you feel better.

Hi @TotallyTray,

Does anybody mind just give them the worst scenarios to the point you are scared and its going to happen.

Yes, asbolutely. And I think it’s more common than we can imagine. Personally, I’d think about a situation that happened in the past, whether it was yesterday or years ago, and spend a lot of time thinking about “what if” scenarios. What if I said that, what if I did this… Quite a nightmare to dive into this kind of thoughts! I’m also too focused on the future and I often imagine the worst outcomes. It’s never positive, unfortunately. And it makes me feel bad about things that are not happening and are unlikely to happen. I can feel the stress it causes in my body. Yet it’s not about situations that happened. Most of the time, projecting situations like that feels like a natural habit, and when I step back and get some perspective, well… it’s frightening to realize how much some thoughts can impact me.

If you tend to be anxious then you’re certainly prone to ruminations and projections about your past and future as well. The line is so thin between reality and being disconnected from everything because we would be trapped by our imagination. It’s only a human reaction. We have the capacity not only to focus on what’s going on right now, but also to have memories and expectations. We can feel easily trapped in our minds. And we have so many thoughts everyday that we’re not aware of, yet it influences us and our emotions - a lot.

The fact that you are aware of this is a really good thing. It means you’re not just drowned by your thoughts. You can also see them as it is… just thoughts. Thankfully, nothing harmful in itself. But yes, it definitely impacts our emotions and our capacity to just embrace life. It can be emotionally crippling.

I would to know what to do if you all have any advice because it’s taking me alive. Thanks

Fears are nourrished by fears. For me, thinking about the worst scenarios is just the expression of my worries - and there’s too many of them. There’s no word to describe how much exhausting it is. And I’m really sorry you’ve been dealing with this as well.

What helps me generally is 1/ when I feel overwhelmed, I’ll try to take a blank page and write down all my worries to actually see them and take the time to acknowledge all of those thoughts piling up in the back of my mind; 2/ practicing mindfulness, as much as possible. Through habits like a daily meditation - even just 2 minutes - when I’ll sit in silence and focus on my breath. It’s a way for me to ground myself and disconnect from all of those worries and fears in my mind. It takes some time to see the effects of it, but it’s definitely worth it. I learned progressively that what matters the most is not how much time you’ll dedicate to this, but to make it a habit, to be consistent while doing this.

On the other hand, maybe considering therapy - if that’s not already the case - could be worth the try. Having a safe space where you can just let your inner world out of yourself. To actually put words on what you’re experiencing can be very powerful and help you to detach yourself from those thoughts/scenarios.

Hopefully this could help. I also hope you can find some comfort by seeing that you’re not alone and there’s nothing wrong with you.

In any case, feel free to share what you need. If it can be helpful to exorcise your fears, this community is a good place to just let it out, always.

Take care. :hrtlegolove: