Relentless Mind

I joined a persuasive communication class this semester.
During the first class, we read out loud both a question along with it’s answer.
During the three sentences I read, I looked at every pair of eyes, looking up and down, the whispers became louder and louder, and suddenly my voice became hoarse and I started to sweat. After I sat down, I haven’t stopped thinking about those 30 seconds. I can never work on one thing. One day it’s my irritable mood, another is my poor self image, and another is my anti-social skills. I feel so damn neurotic and I’ve been coping with a marijuana addiction that’s gone too far. My first speech is tomorrow and I feel like running away. I dont know how i am going to get through it…

Hey, thanks for sharing.

I’m sorry to hear all of that, I’ve struggled with talking in front of groups of people myself and the anxiety can get overwhelming very fast. Try practicing some deep breathing before your speech and just speak from your heart and let the words flow from there. Good luck! Hang in there friend.

1 Like

@edarduoleyva, you can do it, I know you can. Block out everything except the words in your mind you’re supposed to say. You are a fighter, and you can get through this. Those past 30 seconds? It’s only a bad day, not a bad life.
I know how social anxiety feels, and no one has the right to dictate how you live and when you die. They don’t know anything about you, and there’s never going to be anything wrong with you.
Hold Fast

1 Like

Hey there, fellow neurotic. :wink:

Just step up and do the best you can. It’s, after all, a class to LEARN, not to be great at it from the start. If you were great at it you wouldn’t have to take the class. :wink: I know what it’s like. Part of my job these days is to talk to people, and I loathe it, but I do it, which is a victory over myself every time I do it. And afterwards I reward myself for a job done. Not well done, just done.
You’re on the right path.
Keep at it.
You are not alone.

Martin / ThatOldDutchGuy

1 Like

Thanks man. This is all true here. I can never overcome anything if i dont even start it. I know it takes times but there those days where it controls my mind.