Back to heartsupport

Safety Plan

HeartSupport Safety Plan

This is my 7-step plan to keep me safe in difficult moments I face. I’ve thought through these steps in advance to make it easier for myself to get help when I need it.

STEP 1 - Warning Signs

• Sign 1 - Self-isolation/ social withdrawal.
  • Sign 2 - Feeling like I’m too much and not enough at the same time, setting unfair rules in my mind (=> don’t speak, don’t trust, don’t feel).
  • Sign 3 - Feeling unsafe, anxious, vulnerable.
  • Sign 4 - Home gets messy. Zero motivation.

STEP 2 - Internal Coping Strategies

Added more of them as it depends on how it feels at the moment.

• Strategy 1 - To “cozy up” (comfortable clothes, cool movie, sugary food, stuffed plushies/pillows, cozy blanket, physical reminders of ppl I love, notes/words of encouragement/photos).
  • Strategy 2 - Coloring.
  • Strategy 3 - Playing video games.
  • Strategy 4 - Taking a shower.
  • Strategy 5 - Walking in nature.
  • Strategy 6 - Napping.
  • Strategy 7 - Crying.
  • Strategy 8 - Journaling.

STEP 3 - Worth Living For

• Live For 1 - The people I love. Hugs I want to give.
  • Live For 2 - The possibility to make a difference, do good, love and make people smile.
  • Live For 3 - Making my brother proud of me, honoring the chance he didn’t have by living my life.
  • Live For 4 - The books I want to read, places I want to see, concerts I want to go to, personal projects I want to accomplish, games I want to play, experiences I want to live.
  • Live For 5 - The moments of feeling deeply and intensely alive, connected to everything around me.

STEP 4 - Supporters

• Supporter 1 - G.
  • Supporter 2 - @SheetMetalHead – afternoon/evening.
  • Supporter 3 -

STEP 5 - Professional Help

• Name & Number of Clinician - A.J. (Psychologist)
  • Name & Number of Local Urgent Care Services - 112 or St.Luc.
  • Preferred Crisis Service
    • (Call or chat- 107) Télé Accueil (1pm-3am) – Chat - Site Fédéral
    • (Call - 0800/32.123) Centre de prévention du suicide

STEP 6 - Safe Environment

• Safety 1 - Removing alcohol if there’s any.
  • Safety 2 - Staying away from anything I’d focus on as means to hurt myself - belt, pills. Throwing them away if needed.
  • Safety 2 - Avoiding depressing music. Choosing relaxing ones or podcasts instead.
  • Safety 3 - Making sure to have enough sleep/not staying up late.

STEP 7 - My Signature

By inputting my forum username below, I am committing to utilizing this safety plan in my next high intensity moment when I need support.

@Micro

8 Likes

@Lizzy

If it’s ok, I’d like to add my username too. It’s been over ten yrs since my last attempt and 7 for self harm.

Those thoughts creep in all the time and having something like this to sit and read helps in more than one way. It’s grounding and I think it makes you aware that you need help, because sometimes we don’t recognize that we do.

So, I copied it to my PC and I will add my own support and ways to cope in. One warning sign I have is when I start giving my things away.

3 Likes

Hey @Mystrose, of course. Actually you can make your very own Safety Plan through the following category of the forum:

You just have to open a new topic from there. It will directly open a preset draft for you and you can fill each part at your own pace. That way, it will be absolutely personal to your warning signs, people to reach out to, coping mechanisms as well. :hrtlegolove:

You’re also absolutely right: there are times we don’t recognize that we need help. Having a safety plan is a kind of contract with ourselves and it’s interesting in terms of personal accountability.

So very glad you want to do it as well. But also: so grateful you are still with us here today. 10 and seven years are some very huge accomplishments right there. It’s been 8 months since my last serious “rehearsals” - that I was ashamed to admit until now. Though from these moments, we definitely learn more about ourselves and how to anticipate it better in the future. :hrtlegolove:

2 Likes

micro, my dear sweet friend,

i am so proud of you for completing this safety plan as both a resource for you in the future and for a current reminder for how you can overcome the difficulties life can offer.

first-hand, i can say that your second thing worth living for is a reality. thank you for making a difference in not just my own life but so many others in this world and in this community. you make others feel so much love and value, allowing them to make their own difference in this world, much like how you inspired me to be more involved with our HS community and to give my own life another shot. oh lord here i go rambling about you again, micro fan club rise UP :’)

i am proud of you. i love you mucho. and i believe in you, with everything i got.

love,
twix

3 Likes

Dear @twixremix,

You are so kind and it would be such a pure injustice for this world to lose you. Your words brought me to tears, in a good way. Your encouragement means the world right now and I’m definitely going to save this to keep it with me. I needed it today, and I know that I’ll probably need to get back to it in the future again. Thank you friend. You are such a light in this world, in this community, and to me personally. You are a wonderful human and a caring, dedicated leader in this community. You inspire me to keep trying, no matter what. :hrtlegolove:

PS - Opening the Twix fan club today! There will be plenty of free cute stickers there. :hrtseemsdan:

2 Likes