Scared about meeting friend

So I met a friend online. I made a post introducing myself and asking for friends. We started talking. She’s moving to my state from another one and in a few days, she and her fiancé are coming to visit and suggested we can meet.
I set up a time and place to meet her but I’m so scared, I almost don’t want to. I’m scared to meet son I don’t know at all in person, scared of what she’ll think of me, she’s also going to be with her fiancé and I alone and I’m going to look weird and like the 3rd wheel. I’m scared if I don’t fit in or vibe well with her or them both. Idk what to do!! Part of me is avoidant of it and a small part of me is along the lines to “just do it mentality”. Do you think it’s be weird to meet someone you don’t know in person? I’m really worried

9 Likes

If you think about it, we meet people IRL without knowing them first all the time. So, no I don’t think it’s strange. I flew from Calif to NY alone to meet an online friend once and it was a great experience.

Making sure you know who this person really is before you meet up is pretty important. Have you video chatted with them? If not, I highly recommend that you do. Make sure when you meet, it’s in public and during the day. You can take a friend with you or make sure someone you trust knows what you are doing.

I feel like if you take precautions and feel safe and comfortable, go for it.

3 Likes

You already have the meeting arranged, so you might as well go for it. I’ve met a couple of people from online, and it has worked out well. I think as long as your meeting in a safe place, the worst that can happen is that you don’t meet again.

It sounds like this is a first for you, so being scared is understandable. However, it doesn’t sound like physical danger will be involved, so you can think of it as a kind of stage fright that can be overcome only by facing it.

If you are not meeting in a public place, cancel the meeting and reschedule for a time and place that you are okay with.

2 Likes

hey bobo,

online friends are an incredible thing :slight_smile: as someone who’s met up with dozens of online-now-irl friends, i have a personal rule that i have to have video chatted with them or have received a photo from them. there are specific requests for the photo too so it can’t be photoshopped or taken off google - things like holding up 3 fingers and a paper with a word written on it. this creates an environment of understanding and safety for all parties involved. one of my best friends for more than a decade now was someone i met online and now we visit each other once a year and talk daily. online friendships have so much potential for the greatest joys and memories in your life but please exercise caution when first meeting up with full strangers. get them on a video call or a custom pic - an easy request for people with good intentions! hope you stay safe and have an amazing time with these friends!

love,
twix

hey there! As mama said, take a friend or make sure that someone knows where and when you’re meeting. Online friends can be so fun! Video chatting and getting to know them well. But of course we can also make sure we take precautions. Public well lit areas during the day time, that kind of thing. Let us know how you go!

1 Like

Bobohobo, Meeting people online is a thing now. The question is how do you meet them in person safely? If you can video chat first so you know what they look like - it’s safer. But what I hear you concerned about is just meeting them. It’s hard meeting new people but if you’ve gotten along online, it’s likely worth meeting them in person. You won’t know if you don’t go. And if you all get along - you have new friends irl.

1 Like

Hey Bobo,

Making friends online is great! Meeting them in person can be super fun. But, as with most things in life, take steps to ensure you are doing it safely. Video chat with them first, meet them in a public, safe, and well populated place. Trust your gut feelings, and know your boundaries. If the meeting does take place, I hope you all have a blast!

1 Like

Hi there,

It’s understandable that you’d be apprehensive about meeting a new person that you’ve only met online before, but you’re still the same person they know and I bet that this will go great.

I’d also suggest meeting them in a public location – that’s what I’ve done whenever I’ve met a new person in-person that I met online.

I hope you have a great time with your friend!
<3 Tuna!

1 Like

Hey, bobohobo, great name btw. I know that meeting people you don’t really know can be really scary and nerve-wracking. I’ve met internet friends irl a few different times now and it never gets easier to do that first meeting. You never know if this is the time you are meeting someone who lied to you and you never know if you will be able to get along in this new setting.

Are you meeting in a public place? That is the most important thing. Never meet an internet person someplace private or without a lot of people around. And it is definitely best to have an activity ready to go to break the tension. Like meeting at a zoo, museum, coffee shop, book store, etc. Or near to one. Someplace not only public but with things around that give you other things to do and focus on besides each other in case you feel nervous. Especially if it is a common interest for both of you that helps give you topics to discuss.

Just breathe and be yourself. There’s a reason you guys are friends and I hope that things go well so that you will have two amazing friends living in your state that you can have fun with! Good luck and please come tell us how it goes! :hrtlegolove:

1 Like