Seeking Encouragement and a Nap

Hi, dear friends who read this- I’m a bit overwhelmed and tired atm, anxious and a lil lonely- I feel like I’m constantly trying to put structure into my life (thanks to Dave King and the masterclass) and make time for rest and play, but the time I set aside for this week suddenly got taken away by a work rescheduling and now I have one afternoon this week to rest and recover and organize myself. I read the email today about one thing at a time, but I’m also struggling to figure out if or when I could fit in gym visits and therapy. Things should be much better next week, but I’d appreciate a few positive words of encouragement. Thank you :two_hearts::two_hearts::two_hearts:

5 Likes

I’ve found that connecting with others does take my mind off of things- I ended up having to pick up 15 hours for the rest of this week because a girl got fired this morning and we’re a small, busy pet boarding place. So it’s literally just this week that I’m struggling with wrapping my mind around, but when it’s not too hot or pouring (which is every day recently) I like to go explore or hammock in parks, which is exercise + self care for me and I had room in my schedule and plans before this morning to do exactly that. I’ve been in contact with a therapist, but scheduling and insurance have been dragging for weeks. I had plans to check out a local Crossfit gym Friday morning, but I’ve been given my former coworkers shifts- I may be able to visit that afternoon. But I did create an official day off today, so I’ll be better prepared for future craziness.

1 Like

My mantra when I’m having bad days is “Just For Today.” Just for today, things are shitty and my work-life balance is off and I just want it to stop; but all I have to do is get through today. I don’t know what will happen tomorrow, but that doesn’t really matter because I need to focus on what’s happening right here right now. I will get through my responsibilities today, then do what I can for self-care tonight, and hope for a better day tomorrow.

I think it’s awesome that you’re doing the Masterclass! I wanted to do it, and I hope I can do it next year; but Just For Today (or this season), I’m trying to consolidate my mental resources, quit spreading myself thin with volunteer work, and focus on what’s most important (my wife, my job, and somewhat begrudgingly my church recovery program). I hope you get a lot out of Masterclass! I’m looking forward to hearing how it goes for everyone!

2 Likes

Hi Fox,

Thank you for sharing with us what’s been going on in your life lately. I just wanted to let you know that it’s really amazing to hear how you’re actively finding time for exercise and self-care, especially while picking up shifts at work and dealing with all the things that come up unpredictably! Truly, I think you’re doing great and I’m so glad your intention for rest is present- that is such a good sign!

Thank you for inspiring me to get in touch with my friends and making sure I take time for myself sometime this week too. Sending my love. <3

Take care,
Alex

2 Likes

Hey @Fox so good to see you here.

You are an incredibly astute observer of your own life. You know that this week was disrupted by something you likely could not control and it had personal impact on your ability to practice self care. However, in light of this you chose to accept what needed to be done and look forward to next week where you can prioritize yourself again and I really am proud of you for that!

I think that sometimes when we are trying to add the things to our lives that help us be effective, we forget that life often has other plans and sometimes we have to plan for the unexpected. If I were in your shoes, I might try and leave some open air time, time that stays unscheduled, so that when we do come across things we cannot control that eat our time, there is something to fall back on.

Cannot wait to hear about all the other cool things you are learning! :hrtlegolove:

2 Likes