Something happened yesterday that made wonder if I deserved to continue living

So, yesterday I was walking my dog, without a leash, when a 12 year old was walking by. Obviously, like all dogs do, he ran up to her and started barking. The little girl started to panic and tripped and scraped her knee. Instantly, I apologize profusely and she said she was all right, even though she was crying. I went back home, and called my mother, explaining what happened. A couple minutes later, the little girl came back with her older sister. She told me that she called her father and her father said that I had to take the little girl to the emergency room. I started to panic, and was going to take her, when my mother, who was still on the phone, told me no, you’re not taking her anywhere. That’s when the father advised to call the cops on me, and my mother told to just go back into the house and lock the door. When I went back inside, she told me that as long as my dog didn’t bite her, the police weren’t going to do anything (she’s a retired Corrections officer). And she was right, the only people that came were simply the ambulance (who just came to put a bandage on the little girl), and animal control, who just gave me a warning.

When my mother came home, she explained to me that while nothing more happened, it could have been FAR worse. She also explained that people, no matter who they are, can’t truly be trusted, that if they could, they would will use ever they can to sue cause all they want is money (and considering how, despite that every other time my dog barked at someone and they just shrugged and continued walking, while this family over reacted, I believe her). Still, after the entire ordeal was done and I learned my lesson, I honestly wondered if I’m a good person, that I don’t deserve to live and should end my life. Not only that, but I’m paranoid that the other family might try to do something, like still press charges, or they might slash our car’s tires, or they might break in our house and rob us, or they might wait until I i get in my car to go to work and grab me and beat the shit out of me, possibly ending my life (it also dosent help that the other family I’d black, and if you read my other posts, you’ll know that I both judge and sacred of black people do to the bullying I endured when I was young). I just don’t know what to do.

I can understand why you are feeling so stressed and anxious! That’s hard! Yes, always keep your dog on a leash because you never know how an animal may act around a stranger person or animal. It was an honest mistake. Yes the girl tripped and that really sucks but she is okay. Nobody got severely hurt, the dog didn’t attack. Don’t beat yourself up so hard

If you feel worried, you could always go over and talk to the family with your mom and apologize again. Show them you care. Maybe take them a gift basket or cookies. Let them know you realize now that you need to keep the dog on a leash and will be sure it doesn’t happen again. Sometimes small acts of kindness go a long ways. Maybe? Maybe your mom will go with you and offer support

Be gentle with yourself my friend. You are not a bad person. It was an accident. You are okay. :heart: Take a deep breath and try to relax. Don’t over think it. You’ll drive yourself crazy where you don’t need to.

Much love to you friend. Be kind to yourself okay?

• Kitty