Starting therapy- honestly i’m so scared

hi i haven’t really done this to many times but i finally opened up to my mom about how hard it’s been for me mentally and how i really think i should get help and she agreed!! so yay but i’m honestly super nervous like what would people think if they knoe i’m going to therapy i am exhausted trying to keep a mask on but i don’t know if i really need the help now ya know like i don’t want to waste her time talking about my minuscule problems any tips? thanks :))

5 Likes

Hi friend. There is nothing wrong with opening up and talking with a professional about how you are feeling. If people judge you or have negative comments about you seeing a therapist, then maybe you don’t need those people in your life. Plenty of people go to therapy, even the ones that seem like they have the “perfect lives.” It’s the therapist job to listen to you and talk with you about how you are feeling and why, no matter how miniscule you may think your problems are. It’s NEVER a waste of time when it comes to your mental health. It’s ok to feel nervous about it, but keep a positive attitude and it will only benefit you in the long run.

2 Likes

There is no shame at all in taking care of your mental health. It is just as important as your physical health. Talking about how you’re feeling, things you’re worried about, or things you are wanting to improve on are all perfectly normal to talk with your therapist. A good therapist helps you to learn coping mechanisms and gives you the tools you need in order to help yourself. If people judge you for seeing a therapist that is their issue. The other side of that is give people a chance, they can surprise you. People who genuinely love you and care about you will be supportive and understanding. I see a therapist regularly and it has helped a lot with my depression and anxiety. It’s understandable to feel nervous, but just gently remind yourself that this will help your mental health and help you. You can do this.

2 Likes

This is so… I don’t know the word I am looking here. It made me happy to read it you know, it’s so good that you opened to your mom and she was supportive with you, and it’s awesome that you are going to therapy to get support.
I feel scared too about starting therapy, I shell myself by saying I am too occupied or that I am fine, but then when a little time passes something bad happens and I have another depressive or anxiety episode and I regret not having the support and guidance of a therapist.

Anyways, sending you tons of good vibes and i hope everything gets better for you on the way you need things to be good.

1 Like

Hey there! :)) good to hear you’ve opened up to your mom and she’s willing to help you for the better. Therapy is for anyone, even if you think other people may have bigger issues than you your ‘minuscule problems’ are still problems that affect you and seeking out for help and talking about it helps. I’ve gone to therapy and it has helped me tremendously, opening up about tough topics and even the minor things that gave me a rough day. The way you feel is completely valid since I also felt that way starting out but this will help you out as much as it has helped me and others! wishing you support and luck throughout. <3

2 Likes

@Hillsdale2
Congratulations opening up and allowing yourself to be vulnerable. Glad to hear that your mother is supporting you in this venture to better yourself!
I’ve been in and out of therapy for years now. Depending on the therapist- and your input- it can be a great journey. In the past I’ve had a few negative experiences with therapists, and if this ever happens to you, do not let it discourage you!! Seek out a therapist you feel comfortable talking with. Getting help for mental wellness is a terrific step (: you and others like you have encouraged me to get back into therapy. Because it truly is helpful when you allow yourself to be vulnerable with someone who can truly help. Therapists are there to listen and to help you :blush:
Best wishes friend!
-Eyeless

1 Like

@Shandy thank you so much oh my gosh that made me smile and wow really helped me relax i went today and honestly it was so nice to feel all the weight lifted and just knowing someone else knows about what i’m going through thank you so much :))) :cupid::cupid:

1 Like

thank you so much you’re kind words helped me so tremendously thank you i ended up scheduling another appointment!! thank you sooo much :))) :smiling_face_with_three_hearts::smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

1 Like

thank you for the good vibes they definitely got delivered!! i felt so good after going thank you so much for your support:))

thank you so much!! this helped me so much and honestly thank you for the advice about good and bad therapist i am super excited to see what the future brings with my growth in my mental health thank you for being apart of it :))

1 Like

No need to thank me, that’s what this community is all about, people helping people. I’m glad you went today and it helped lift that weight off of your shoulders. Just know that you aren’t alone and many people know what you were feeling. Glad you scheduled another appointment. Keep your head up and push forward. :+1::+1:

1 Like

thank you so much for your help it means the world and your right simply telling someone the small parts of your day really did help thank you!!:))

2 Likes

:wink: <33 aww, no problem and i’m glad your first session went great and telling and you’ve scheduled for another one! it really does help :)) keep thriving <3 you got this!!

2 Likes