Struggles & trying to help my friend, but not knowing how

I don’t even know where to actually start, once again.
Life’s been weird lately. I got worse but also didn’t. I can’t tell anymore, to be honest. I feel like I’m stuck in an endless circle. Everyday somehow passes, but in the end, I always feel like I didn’t do shit. I’m just killing time, waiting for another day to come. Nothing really brings me joy, that lasts longer than a few minutes. I hate it. The thought of just ending it all is always there. It never leaves, really. But I don’t want my parents to be hurt. I know, they’d be heartbroken and I don’t want to put them through the feeling of losing their child. But, every day gets harder in some way. This emptiness and boredom is starting to become unbearable.

My [internet] friend(15) has been suicidal for a long time now, I think. We’ve only been talking activity for about a year. And lately, she’s been getting worse. Today, she told me, she felt as if her girlfriend was ignoring her and that her girlfriend almost only talks about herself. I told her, I could talk to said girlfriend. But she just kept on saying that it doesn’t matter, as girlfriend is busy with school anyways.
I want to help her. I want her to be happy. But I don’t know how. She knows, she should talk to someone. That she should consider a therapist. But she ignores it and keeps on ‘complaining’. I hate wording it like this, but I can’t think of any other word. I’m one of her closest and only friends. I cherish her dearly. She means the world to me and I’m always willing to listen to her. But I’ve noticed how she’s pushing her feelings onto me, instead of just talking. She kinda makes me feel, as if I have to do something.

If anyone had advice, how I can convince her to talk to someone or seek help, please tell me. I feel so fucking helpless.

1 Like

Hello, friend.

Unfortunately, it is generally nearly impossible to convince someone to get help. I often say, You can offer someone all the help in the world, but it will do no good until they are ready to accept help. Which is not to say that you shouldn’t suggest help, but you can’t feel responsible or upset if your friend doesn’t take your advice. At some point, it stops being up to you to provide help and it becomes up to your friend to accept the help that is being provided. Until she is ready to receive your help, you should remind yourself that you have done all you can do, as a friend. Anything beyond this is completely out of your control and so you shouldn’t feel as though you HAVE to do something or as though you are obligated. You are a good friend who has reached out to a person in need with practical ways to at least try to fix their problems. You don’t HAVE to do anything else, and to be honest, you can’t do anything else. Not until she’s ready for help. You did great, friend. You offered support, you are there to talk and offer suggestions. You are a good friend, and that is more than enough.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 7 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.