Struggling with appearance

It’s been one of these days…

I have been struggling with my appearance since forever. I just feel really ugly. I am not looking for validation and such here- it’s just that I don’t know how to fight off this mindset.

I am practically blind- just tried contacts these days and harmed one eye so bad I started bleeding so I guess I will be back to glasses again. I have been bullied since I was a kid for wearing glasses and I just hate them so much. I mean, it’s enough that I have other insecurities about myself but this eye handicap is driving me insane. I just feel like I am very ugly and undesireable. Like guys will always pick the girl with the pretty face not the four eyed oven.

It just hurts a lot. Sorry for the rant but been crying for a while. Anyone got any tips?

1 Like

Hey @sodahead94,

We all have times where we think our appearance isn’t where we want it to be but glasses are not an issue at all. As you say say four eyes are better than none!

Everyone here will back me up and say that you don’t need to worry about glasses affecting your appearance and I’m sure you are a beautiful person and as cliche as it may sound it’s about whats inside that counts

Power to you

2 Likes

@sodahead94 I’m sorry about your sight. I have the opposite outlook on my glasses - I hide behind them. I never let anyone see me without them because of how insecure I am.
Just try to remember that not everyone finds the same features attractive. Just because one guy has hoses another girl, doesn’t mean everyone will. There will be plenty of people who will chose you. Beauty isn’t just about physical appearance. It’s also about you as a person. I’m sure you’re a beautiful person - it’s okay to feel some insecurities. But it’s also necessary to look at things we do like about ourselves inside or out. Even if it’s one thing. One thing can lead to many.

Hold fast
Kayla

2 Likes

@sodahead94
My heart empathizes with these struggles you face. This has been my biggest struggle since I was a child and is to this very day. The thoughts are tormenting and relentless and draining. You probably know the logic–that they are just thoughts and that we often are our own worst critics. This is so true. But it doesn’t take away from how much our thoughts hurt us. What helps me is knowing that I have a creator who loves me and made me. He made you too. You are not a mistake. Your struggles will help to shape you, despite how hard they are. Beauty is not simply what we look like, but who we are inside. Tattooed on my arm is Psalm 139:14 that is a daily reminder for me “I will praise you for I am fearfully and wonderfully made. Your works are marvelous, I know that full well.” You are wonderfully made too <3

2 Likes

Hey friend,

I have had glasses since I was in fourth grade (just graduated high school 3 weeks ago) and my vision has progressively gotten much worse since then; I am not at a point where I am legally blind, but my lenses are basically as thick as coke bottle caps and without my glasses I am just lost. I can’t even begin to truly understand how you must feel and I’m sorry. I’m sorry that you have had to go through this. I will never know what it is truly like to walk in your shoes and I am sorry. I want you to know that you are loved.

To be real right here man it really makes me so mad and frustrated when people are picked on for wearing glasses- like it just makes no sense to me and I am so sorry you’ve had to go through that.

My friend, I know that you may see yourself in this negative way- but man we love you as you are. You have breath in your lungs and you are alive and you deserve love. I want you to know that good love will find you- you will learn to love yourself with time. It’s not easy- I struggle a lot with self worth so I am very understanding of how difficult it is.

Glasses make you unique and wonderful. They make you you.

I am not encouraging you to change yourself for others because that is NOT the right way to go about this- but something I have been interested in is Lasik- I am not able to explain it well here, but I just feel like it would be nice in my current place in life to just be able to see and not have my glasses falling off my face 5 times a day because they are so heavy and it would just be nice to see clearly again. I don’t know if that is an option for you but if you are interested it is always there.

You are LOVED as you are here. There are SO MANY people with glasses- heck so many people have glasses. It doesn’t set you apart from others- and if people are jerks about it then they don’t deserve you in their lives. My friend you are loved so much and you are beautiful and treasured as you are.

We are here for you no matter what.

With love,
Lyss(ur old pal Blurryface)

2 Likes

Someone will come into your life who is going to love you even with your glasses and it might take some time but it will come. Your glasses make you unique and you should embrace that. You will always be beautiful :two_hearts:

2 Likes

Thank you Lyss!

What you wrote really helped me. Thank you so much, friend. Hope you are doing better and staying strong as well!

All love,
Soda

2 Likes

Hey @sodahead94,

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder. In other words, beauty is subjective. I personally find glasses on people really attractive, because it insinuates intelligence. I live in Nashville, and glasses are actually really trendy here. Heck, some people even wear fake glasses to look even cooler. My vision is slowly declining and I can’t wait to wear glasses so I can fit in with everyone else. :grin:

-Eric

4 Likes

Eric that is a really great song! Thank you for sharing awesome music <3

Also thank you for the kind words.

All love,

Soda

2 Likes

I started wearing glasses in my early/mid twenties. I’ve also struggled with appearance issues as well. I remember sitting in the office asking the doctor if this was something I was going to have to wear all day, and she said “Yep, the minute you wake up, until you go to bed” and I felt terrible. I already struggled with appearance being severely overweight (obese) and now adding something else. I have learned to love them, and they are useful for me. Glasses don’t make or break me, even if I thought they did for a short time.

We love you friend, glasses or not. Thank you for sharing this with us, and if you need someone to talk to, I encourage you to come find us in discord if you’re not already there.

3 Likes

This may seem so hard , there’s nothing wrong with wearing glasses or contacts … I’m sorry people have been bullying because you wear glasses. Just to know I wear glasses to because I need them . You are not alone . Just know either wearing contacts or glasses is okay . Thank you for telling us how you feel . Just know you are loved no matter what

3 Likes

everyone is different and i use to struggle a lot about my appearance and i still do every now and then. but just keep telling yourself your beautiful and know that every one had something they dont like about them selfs and try to focuse on what you like about yourself. beuatiy is more then just looks.
stay strong

1 Like

Video response HERE
Hold Fast.

3 Likes

Thank you so much that was an amazing talk! Thank you guys for the kind words and also opening a discussion on bullying which I believe to be a very relevant topic in these days.

Once again thank you and sorry for the late response (I am not on twitch and just saw it)

4 Likes

Hi sodahead.
Im sorry that you have vision problems.
I wear specx myself… Since the age of 15yrs and hated it too. But with time, i kinda am more accepting coz i can see better only with specx.
Just like u, contacts were sucha pain to my eyes. Now, I use them only for special occasions (anything that involves 3-4hrs of wear). I have dry eyes so it feels like sticking sand paper on my eyeballs. Lol.
Laser is not an option for me…Plus even if it was…I wouldnt be able to afford it. Heh.
So the next best thing is to save up some money for trendy eyewear.
I got these ‘owl’ specs and absolutely LOVE them. Every instagrammer has atleast one ‘nerdy’ selfie with glasses. And they look damn fine!

A looooot of guys likes ‘specsy’ girls too. :stuck_out_tongue:
Do give it a try!

2 Likes

We’d love for you to join us on our live stream sometime!
I’m glad you found the discussion helpful to you. We believe in you.

4 Likes

Hi sodahead94,
I am from team Out of the Ashes and I know how the feeling goes, I often feel ugly myself but I believe that God made everybody to look different, but still beautiful. It’s hard to believe that sometimes but I feel it’s true. I am practically blind without my glasses to and contacts don’t work for me so I know how that goes. You will be in my prayers and I hope you don’t struggle with appearance much longer.

2 Likes