Talked my best friend down from suicide

This is more of a quick run-down, than anything, I suppose. Also, I wasn’t quite sure whether to label this as Support or Journal, lol

My best friend is someone very dear to me, obviously. And he’s dealing with a lot, to the point he became severely suicidal. I talked him down from ending it all, just now. He made a promise, to text me once he comes back from school. And I choose to believe that, but i’m still wary. He lives in an emotional abusive household and under the belief that no one cares for him, at all. So all I can do, is wait until his school will supposedly be over in a few hours. And as much as it pains me, that if he does chooses to break the promise and go through with it; I did all I could. I was there for him and tried my best.
That’s a way of thinking I learned over the years. I did the best I could for him. Of course that doesn’t mean, I wouldn’t care. I care a lot, but I also need to remind myself of the fact I did my everything I could’ve done.

And on the brighter side, I can deal with these things a lot better than I did a year ago. I’ve dealt with talking friends down from suicide before. And I would cry, panic and shake immediately to the point I needed a break from my own phone and even came to hate the sight of it. But even now, i’m still calm and not panicking. I think that’s a major improvement :]

If someone ended up reading this; thank you!

9 Likes

You ‘re a good friend, @HeresA.Gun.KillMePlease. Really. Growing up in an abusive home can be devastating and it’s so important to have people who are a safe presence. Who remind the people who need it that they’re not alone and their life matters.

The way you perceive the situation is also very mature and thoughtful. Doing the best you can is only what you can do. Ultimately, the choice belongs to your friend. But you’re making a difference in the life of this person by showing up and being a safe, caring presence. You didn’t have to do it, yet you did it, you show that you care, and that’s beautiful.

Thank you for what you do. For believing in your friend and trusting them in making the right decisions. It’s a very respectful and loving way to be there for someone. Let us know how it goes, if that’s okay for you.

3 Likes

I read this. I love you, you are so awesome and such a good friend.

1 Like

Whoops, I only saw this now. But everything is going alright right now, we’ve been spending time with playing video games together and have been making plans for a trip to poland together, once Covid eases up. Also plans for a first meeting, considering we’re internet friends.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.