The challenge that revealed so much more about myself

TW: suicide ideation

As an older guy with many psych classes and life lessons under my belt I believed that I knew myself. Nerd, check. I’m an introvert geek who loves heavy metal, cartoons and art. I have an odd sense of humor and I believe in being honest. But these are just superficial concepts and this experience demonstrated to me how little I truly knew about who I am. There is so much to my mental health journey that precedes the events provided here, things that span nearly a decade. Perhaps I can discuss those events in more detail in another chapter but know that it was during that time things got so bad I had to be hospitalized for a major depressive episode that left me wanting and planning an end to it all. My work identity played a major factor bridging both that previous crisis and the challenges in this period. I know now that work cannot be an identity. I absolutely believe separating self-worth from work is essential to happiness. I also believe, however, that work or more accurately the purpose that I associated with work is a difficult thing to not have in one’s life. I had poured so much of myself into making my graphic design business do well that as it fell apart it took me with it. I had invested more than twenty years into defining myself as a designer. I had regrettably sacrificed time with my wife and children to boost the business. There is so much more to tell about those days. The days after my hospitalization was truly the start of my mental health rebirth. I went through a lot to build myself back from that dark brink. I was in counseling, on medication, and looking for strength in spirituality. But, I still needed to have an income to support my family and my family. My wife had equally gone through her own struggles with employment during this time. We were in bad financial shape.

As my spirituality grew I felt a pull that this was a message directing me towards another path. It was time to choose another career. And so I searched and searched and searched. I prayed. I listened. I prayed more. I explored options near to my obvious skill set. Things design related, like UI/UX. Door after door closed in front of me. I tried skill-adjacent fields. I’m good with technology so I started classes in cybersecurity and while I did well I couldn’t afford it. More door closed. Months passed, stress increased but then an unlikely possibility appeared. Software engineering. The opportunity would be demanding and had its own risks. It was something I never considered before but it was as if it landed in my lap. I was scared. I am in my 50s and attempting to go into a completely alien field. And one that admittedly draws a much younger demographic.On top of that I had been experiencing memory issues for months prior to this. Memory tests were coming back fine but still I wondered… Could I even do it? Was I too old? What should I do? What is the right decision? What if I fail? How would this affect my family? And I prayed again. I was trying to lean more on faith which I’ll admit is hard for me. Faith in myself. Faith that things will work out.

I closed my eyes, swallowed deep, breathed even deeper and stepped into that unknowable circumstance. I’d love to say the process was a breeze but it wasn’t. It was hard. Very. Hard. About 3 months into this 9 month program I was exhausted and that ugly, harsh inner critic bellowed at me. I had messed up! What were you thinking?! I AM too old. Everyone else is so much better at this than I am. I felt lost and ashamed. My family tried to offer emotional support but I could feel myself slipping into a familiar cycle of depressive rumination. I didn’t think I could handle more and then my pet died. He was my buddy, my support companion and in what was a relatively quick span of time he got very sick and passed away. I wept. No. I wailed. I felt alone.

But in truth I wasn’t alone. The inner voice that had lied to me so often before, especially during my darkest days, trying to lower my self worth, to punish me, was lying again. I prayed more and asked, if THIS is truly my new path, help me see a little hope. And then…a little hope was there. Nothing earth-shattering but a little whisper of hope. Sometimes it came as a random quote that stuck with me each day. Reaching into the dark pit and giving me just a little strength to get out of bed each day and try again. “Do what I can, with what I know, where I am now.” Don’t try to take on the big picture. Don’t think about next week or even tomorrow. Don’t think about what others might be doing, it’s irrelevant. Just think about today, right now. Like baby steps I moved forward. Sometimes the hope was just hearing others in my cohort echoing my fears and knowing I wasn’t alone in my worries. After each big project I completed I would sit back and laugh with bemusement. Each technical assessment that I took to test my understanding I was passing. I was a nervous wreck but I was passing! It seemed absurd in some way but I was getting through this. And then, one day, 9 months after I had launched into this foreign field, I graduated. I had taken a huge leap in believing in myself and now I WAS a software engineer. I had crashed and crashed hard during this challenge but I hadn’t given up on myself, not completely. If I had to cry, then I cried but I would then try again. If I had to crawl then I would crawl to the computer to do my assignments. Crying, crawling. These were totally okay. Giving up was not.

I learned a lot about myself in this endeavor, about my abilities, about my intelligence, about not being too old and about WHO I am. And I think that is the biggest message this chapter demonstrated to me. I was not a graphic designer or a software engineer or whatever role I saw assigned to me. Those are just tools, skill sets but they’re not who I am. Who I am is that person that took an enormous risk, and found a way through it. Who I am is a person that even when feeling beaten and lost did not give up. I found faith in myself. What would I tell my earlier self or others? Take chances on yourself even if they seem scary and formidable even if you don’t know how to get through it. You don’t need to have all the answers or know exactly how it will work out. If it gets overwhelming and it definitely might, consider the mantra I used…do what you can, with what you know, where you are right now. When you get through it, and I believe you will, take time to celebrate the growth you’ve had.

7 Likes

Rebirth…

Hey friend,

This post deeply resonates with me and I want to say how thankful I am you posted here. As a SWAT leader, I often give guidance and support to those who post here, but your story struck something very deep in me that I feel like I’ve ultimately needed to hear/read. I found myself chocking up when reading this and find myself tearing up as I now write this reply…

I’ve been hiding from parts of my journey in an attempt to quickly bounce back from my very own rock bottom. You’ve shown me that it’s okay to accept and share the story that defines us both. I needed that.

I, too, have many psych classes under my belt (psych degree), have been through a lot of incredibly tough moments in my life, relied on my work to define who I am, and so on.

I poured HOURS of my life into transforming myself from someone who failed at living his dream of being in a band to a man who was working with multinational and multibillion dollar organizations - consulting them on enterprise-wide technology initiatives. I then left that company to work for a German market research firm where I worked with the likes of the World Bank and so on. I relied heavily on these organizations as identifies for myself rather than defining who I am on my own terms.

A little over a year ago I was under extraordinary stress, working weird hours as I was helping a team in Germany roll out a new enterprise method for automated sales reach outs that integrated with salesforce.

And then BAM. Lack of sleep, incredible stress and pressure from my bosses, smoking too much weed in-between launched me into full blown Psychosis. This episode startled my family and my friends - but I thought nothing was wrong with me. It was all part of the job.

Next thing I know, a team of police are there at my door and I couldn’t understand why…

I ended up in a psych ward in a local hospital where I was diagnosed as Severe Manic Bipolar.

This in itself was devastating to me as I refused to believe the diagnoses. After I was released from the hospital I found out that during my psychosis I had been fired from my job.

Pair these two things together and I was absolutely devastated. I, too, wanted to just end it all. For the next 4 to 5 months I literally had no will to live, no motivation and I thought all I had done was for not. That there literally was no reason to live.

But, just as you, something fell into my lap. I somehow am now the protege to someone who sold his company for $100m. He saw something in me when I was at my absolute lowest and gave me the opportunity to help him start and grow his two new businesses.

So here I am, doing something I’m totally unfamiliar with - constantly questioned by my negative inner voice - but learning and growing. I’m learning and experiencing things I never would have dreamt of just a couple years ago.

I’m also now able to redifine myself on my terms and align to who I am as a mind/body/soul.

Your story here truly helped me see something in myself that I’ve been refusing to look at and now I realize that this is part of the journey that God, the universe, Allah has put me on. That I shouldn’t ignore it, that it should be loved and I need not be afraid of how it’s helping me become who I need to be.

Please share more of your wisdom. The whole HS community, I think, can find some genuine guidance as they go through their own struggles.

Thank you for this.

(PS: I Am Reclaimer: I Am, two of the most powerful words in any language, for what comes after shapes your destiny. Reclaimer { to reclaim { retrieve or recover (something previously lost, given, or paid); obtain the return of… I Am Reclaiming myself as I hope to help others reclaim who they are.)

3 Likes

Hi Mantlebeard,
i can only say… thank you from the bottom of my heart. i am sitting here at work, tears in my eyes…

that is hitting me so deep. for years of my life i only had my work. besides that… yes and maybe no.
there was not much, so i fled into isolation. i learn now, i try to learn, to change, to accept, to be, to try …
i will sit down this afternoon more and take my notes out, to go through and to try.
this might be the first story i respond to, but thank you so much for sharing, thank you Heart Support and
@JennaLouise for starting this and sharing these storys.
you matter all, you all are loved and you all are human. :purple_heart:

2 Likes

Amazing Reclaimer! I love it. Not the circumstances that you’ve been through because they were so difficult but I love where you are now, the message you’ve taken from it and I’m moved that my story spoke to you on such a meaningful level.

2 Likes

Thank you Aardvark. You and Reclaimer being a part of SWAT and providing so much heart and soul to others is a blessing. I’m grateful for whatever value you gain reading my journey. That work life identity can really turn into such a hinderance. There’s so much more to who we are. That you are growing and learning and being more accepting of yourself…truly beautiful.

1 Like

Thank you so much for sharing your story with this community. It is incredibly inspirational. Your art is stunning and tells the story perfectly. It’s moments like this, reading someones story, that we realize how interconnected we all are. Reminds me of a quote, “The world is made of endlessly intersecting stories, each one valid and true.”- Kate Elizabeth Russell.