The future

I’m a senior in high school. I’ll be graduating in 3 months. Most of the student shave receives there admissions letter to multiple schools. Yet I got some acceptance letters as well. All is good so far yet one of the schools that accepted me is in Paris!! I’m so happy I got in because the truth was I never thought I would be able to get into any school. Let alone an international school. I was shocked when I got the good support from my mom telling me that if I chose it go to that school she would support me 100% no matter what. But the school is so far for home. I live in NYC. All my friends are here. that would mean moving to a whole new country and it’s like restarting my life all over again. A huge 360. my mother believed that in this world we can manifest all we want ( she’s very spiritual.) and for the longest of time, ever since I was in elementary school I always wished to travel far and go far from home (once more I was born into a very unhealthy broken family) and now I got it but I’m scared to leave. Not only financially but even mentally. I don’t think I’m ready for such a huge challenge. BUT YET, ut excited me so much. To be able to live in another country to stud and learn about a whole different culture. I just love it. I love to explore. My mind is so conflicted. I have great amazing lose friends I love os ch with all my heart, yet I’m worried if I go into this college I might never see them again or we won’t be as close as we were before. I assume like every person in this world one must grow up and that means even lose close friends because, after all, it is a part of life. I’m not sure what to do… my mind is so conflicted just like my heart…
help…

-m

2 Likes

Hi friend,

Wow! How exciting! So, first of all, CONGRATULATIONS. I know that it is very scary but seriously, that is amazing! I have a few friends actually who have gone off and studied abroad. And they were so nervous and anxious about it. I mean one of them was so ready to chase her dreams, but the other was so nervous and afraid of such a huge change. But you know, as soon as they went, even if there was some home sickness, they absolutely loved that they went and realized how much they would have regretted it had they not.

It’s natural to be afraid of being so far from home. It’s normal to be afraid from being away from those that you love and know. But what an incredible opportunity!

Follow your heart my friend. Really think about what you want. Even in all of the fear and anxiety that comes with it, if your heart is telling you to go, you should do it. So you don’t later look back and wish you had. What an incredible experience. I’m sure you will meet new friends and people.

I hope that you are able to find the strength and courage to make the decision that is best for you and what will make you most happy. Sounds like you have a great support system no matter what you choose and that helps a ton! Listen to those you love. See what they have to say. But most of all, listen to your heart. <3

Good luck, friend.

• Kitty

@m_ba,

Wow, that’s some good news! Hope you are proud of yourself. :wink:

I don’t know if you ever had the occasion to visit Paris, but it’s an interesting/dynamic city and as far as I know it can be difficult to access to most of the schools there. So congratulations!

It is absolutely normal to be worried or feel stressed. It is an amazing opportunity but you also have a life in NYC. It makes sense to feel divided between those two possiblities.

It is true to say that as we grow up we tend to lose sight of our highschool friends and stop being in touch with them, progressively. It is indeed sad, indeed part of life, but… it doesn’t have to be a fatality if that’s not what you want. I want to believe that as long as both people involved in a relationship are willing to do what they need to keep talking and spending time together, then it’s possible. We have the chance to live in a time when there are many ways to keep being in touch with those you love, even if you are not physically close to them. But it’s different. It’s not the same as living almost next to your friends, for sure. It requires more efforts/some paticular attentions, especially when there are different time zones.

It is an important choice that you’ll have to make. No one here could tell you what to do, but we’re here to listen and help as much as we can. Our intuition is really important in this kind of situation. I guess you’ll have to weigh the pros and cons. Also, don’t hesitate to seek all the informations you need, to talk about it with your friends. :heart:

For what it’s worth to know that, I’m french, currently expatriate in Belgium. I’m not from Paris but had many occasions to go there for very different reasons. So, if I can help in any way, if you have practical questions, and if it could help you to think about your current possibilities, then don’t hesitate to send me a DM. I’d be glad to respond as much I can.

Take care. :heart:

I know leaving home is tough, and it seems like you’re leaving a lot behind, but you can always come back! Your friends will still be there, and so will your family. I say go for it. You will regret not taking this experience if you don’t. And if you get to Paris and it isn’t what you expected, you always have a place to return to. It could also be a huge opportunity for you.
I know change is hard and scary, but sometimes we find the best doors are opened for us if we just get out of our comfort zone.

1 Like