Therapy support?

I have been having a lot of anxiety recently, and I have noticed it really affecting me. I have picked up old bad habits and I never feel like I’m doing anything right. I am so stressed about things that are happening around me because I can’t control any of it. I am wondering if anyone has any advice on therapy or counseling and where to look for resources? I feel like I should probably talk to someone about it professionally and to get help before things get worse, but I don’t really know where to start.

1 Like

It’s always best that if you have the option you talk to some one so i think it would be a great idea. I hope you get better and im always here to talk :slight_smile:

1 Like

While I can’t suggest finding resources, beyond googling, Most therapists have websites, I would suggest looking at there web pages, Seeing what issues if there familiar with, It could be anxiety, it could be stuff that causes anxiety, LGBTQ, Family issues. etc. Finding a therapist familiar with what your dealing with is just as important as finding a therapist in the first place. Good luck on your search, Sending love.

1 Like

I have been fighting my anxiety my entire life, trying to run away from any situation that I could not control. I denied the issue by not wanting to talk about it with anyone. Finding the courage to admitting that it is a problem for you and trying to get help, allowing someone else to help you (showing your “weakness” is your strength) is such a powerful thing. I took that step last year (32 years old) and I’m so happy I finally did. Best of luck and stay strong. Much love.

1 Like

I don’t know where you are, but if you are in the US, maybe try to look for some resources on PsychologyToday. (I am sorry, but I don’t know if this is an option outside of the US). They have all sorts of ways to customize the type of person you’d like to see (gender, religious preference, specific issues you want to address, etc). You can sort them by zip code and then adjust the mileage away from you too, but a lot of places are doing phone/video therapy when maybe they didn’t before!

Also, Heart Support has an option with BetterHelp (use the code ‘heartsupport’). It’s free for one week. You have to enter in a card number but will not be charged anything if you cancel before the week ends. They might be able to help you find something, too!

2 Likes

I appreciate you for opening up, and I empathize with the feeling of anxiety building up and slipping into bad habits, as I’m prone to it myself. My normal reaction is to shut down and wall off the world, and lose myself in games and the internet at the cost of my family.

Finding someone to talk to helps a bunch, be it professionally or peers, and the other big thing thats helped me is finding some positive thing to exert control of, like I’ve been making a big point to learn how to step up my cooking game during all this. It’s helped me personally, because it requires focus, so it keeps my anxiety at bay, and has a positive and delicious outcome.

Again, Im proud of you for taking the first step and saying you’re not ok. If you need anything at all we’re here for you.

Live well, do good, hold fast.

2 Likes

Hey @onhindsfeet we covered your topic on HeartSupport’s Twitch stream! Here’s the live video response.

Hold fast!

1 Like

Wow, thank you so much! I was not expecting such a big response! I will definitely be looking into Better Help and PsychologyToday as I am in the US. This is all so encouraging and I appreciate it SO much.
:yellow_heart: