Things Ive learned in my 1st (almost) year of being a mom [TW, mentions of death]

This is more or less just to get my thoughts on paper so to speak. Not looking for anything in particular other than my own reflection on the past year or so.

Having Kiera for me has been a really long, hard, stressful, eye opening, roller-coaster of a ride. And its forced me to come to terms with some things, put my foot down and realize that I’m not superhuman.

Being a mom is hard when you’re an empath. I’ve gone into this is a past thread so I’m not going to go into it again. I know that no mom likes to hear her baby cry, but it’s really hard for me. Seeing anyone cry hurts me but seeing her cry, even over the stupid little things babies cry about is a lot for me. I have to literally walk away or put on headphones until she throws her tantrum. On the other hand, after she had her g-tube surgery, listening to her hoarse little cry, scared and hurting and me not able to pick her up and comfort her. That was so bad. And I know there will be times on the future when she makes a bad decision or has her 1st breakup, etc, and she will cry and I will probably cry with her.

But at the same time, I’ve seen her overcome her Noonan Syndrome setbacks by starting to eat by mouth, learning to communicate, very nearing nailing the sitting thing and now she’s starting to pull up on things. She has the most adorable little smile and she does this thing where she turns to head to the side and looks at you with a cheeky grin that makes me laugh every time. She is excited to see me in the morning and we look forward to hugs.

And it has helped put things in perspective. I started setting firm boundaries. I stopped enabling my brother. I stopped putting up with my mother’s abusive words. I gained my father’s respect. I learned that my boss has my back in my chaotic life, from finding my father in law dead in his apartment to an unplanned emergency c-section, all of Kiera’s appointments and therapies, etc. I’m so thankful for that. And in spite of it all, I’ve managed to continually do exceedingly well at work.

Probably most importantly, I think it’s finally gotten through my skull that I can’t do everything.

My Cerebral Palsy has shown me the consequences of being pushed and having pushed myself to my limit all of my life until now. I’ve talked with others with the condition and mid 20s-30s is when most of them start to really feel it, and especially when they had pushed themselves too hard. Notably, many of them don’t have kids because of how hard it is on them and their bodies. Which I get. I’m wrecked after the pregnancy/c-section/sepsis. I feel like my tendons are being stretched beyond their range simply by straightening my legs or sleeping on my side. My muscles have painful spasms and are weaker now than they used to be. Thankfully my doctor is finally working with me to get treatment.

All things said, I look forward to Kiera’s 1st birthday on February 15. I’m glad she’ll actually be able to eat cake. I look forward to continuing to watch her grow and learn. I’m glad I’m learning to say no. Putting me and my immediate family 1st. Learning to take it easy on myself.

5 Likes

Hi @Sapphire,

Thank you for sharing with us. You’ve gone through an incredible amount and your resilience in staying positive throughout this is so inspirational. I also love that you’ve been finding the value of taking it easy on yourself and learning to say no! Both of those are so important, yet often forgotten.

As you likely know, while it’s undoubtedly painful to hear a baby cry, part of being a baby involves crying and there’s nothing wrong with having a baby who cries (in fact, I’d be worried about Kiera if she didn’t cry). Kiera is lucky to have you as her mom, and I’ll be wishing Kiera a great first birthday on February 15th.

Thanks again for sharing!

<3 Tuna

2 Likes

Sapphire, you are amazing.
Truly, amazing.

I’m blown away by you. You’ve gone through so, so much and yet you still fight to prevail. Do you know how impressive that is? Crazy impressive. Instead of giving up, you’re working harder than ever to be a good mom for Kiera. And, you know what? You are an amazing mother, and you will continue to uphold that statement.

I may not know what it’s like to be a mother or to go through the life you have, but I know that I’m proud of you, because you continue to battle against all the good and bad thrown at you. You’re a learner, an adapter, and Kiera sounds like she’s already taking after her mother. Happy early birthday to her, and congratulations to you. : )

:blue_heart: Krymmenos

3 Likes

Kiera is very lucky to have such an empathic mother as yourself, Sapphire. It’s so great to hear how well she’s overcome many struggles in her life, when she’s not even a year old yet! I know it’s hard for you to hear her cry, but think of it this way: it’s her best way of communicating to you that she’s hungry, she’s uncomfortable, or she just wants your love and attention! She can’t speak yet, so she’s telling you the best way she knows how. :slight_smile: I’m glad to hear that despite your struggles, you’re resilient and taking care of another life to make sure she gets the best care she can in life.

Keep striving forward! You and her both. <3

2 Likes