This is frustrating/ annoying

So, the internet was out all day and my brother had to use my phone to call our internet provider and I started to get overstimulated ( I’m autistic) and I started to get upset and he kept teasing me and me mocking me
and kept saying that I’m funny when I’m upset and now I’m disassociating, numb along with autistic burnout and my depression is overwhelming.

5 Likes

I would hate it too! Is there a place you can go where he won’t follow, like your room or maybe even the bathroom? In other words, can you get away from him when he’s being a jerk?

Are you seeing someone to help deal with the depression?

2 Likes

Welcome to heart support, thank you for sharing with us. Gosh I can imagine how frustrating this must be for you.
I don’t know what it is about siblings, I feel like they enjoy getting a rise out of us just because they know we will react, but that’s not really a good way to treat people.
Do you think you could talk to your parents about this behaviour and maybe get them to help you explain to him why this isn’t okay? Perhaps he should know better, but sometimes they need the reminder.

I hope you’ve had time to be in a safe space and find some peace

4 Likes

Hi Friend, Welcome to Heartsupport, Im Lisa.
I am so sorry that your brother feels the need to tease and mock you, that is not nice at all and he is very unkind to do that, do your parents step in during those moments? I am not surprised that you get so upset.
as @Wings said in his reply, it would be a really great idea to find a place where you can be away from your brother, have some alone time and use it to find some peace, centre yourself and calm down and dont forget if they are not stepping in, let you parents know what is happening.
I hope you are now feeling a lot better. Much Love Lisa. x

2 Likes

Hi there @Austist,

Thank you for sharing here and for joining this community.

It’s frustrating to hear that your brother was teasing you for being upset – that’s so hurtful and he should know better than to act in that way. It sounds particularly hard considering that you’re feeling burned out and overwhelmed, a double-whammy that’s extremely tough.

I hope that things have cooled down now and that your brother starts to show you more of the respect you deserve in the future.

Thank you for being here and for sharing. We’re glad to have you; please continue reaching out if anything is on your mind.

<3 Tuna

3 Likes

hey friend,

that is so incredibly frustrating to not be heard when you’re upset. i’m so sorry you had to endure that and now have to deal with the disassociating/numbness that is a result of your brother’s teasing. i love wings’ suggestion of identifying a place where you’re safe from him when he starts acting like this to you. when you’re facing someone trying to provoke you, they’ll be focused on continuing so the only option really is to find a way to remove yourself from the situation. if locking yourself in the bathroom until he moves on or a parent intervenes is what it takes to save you from feeling numb and disassociating, then i encourage you to give that a try! sending you all the best as you carry onward - you are worth more than anyone’s teasing/mocking. you matter and are valued immensely!

love,
twix

4 Likes

I lost my dad when I was 4.

2 Likes

I lost my dad when I was 4, on June 3, it’ll be exactly 21 years since I lost my father.

1 Like

I am very sorry that you lost your dad, I cannot imagine that, but im sure that has had a huge effect on you growing up. Its also sad that your brother has not taken on a more protecive role rather than one of being unkind to you. If there is no one at home that you can reach out to then the idea of finding your own safe space is an even better suggestion. I would like to think that at some point your brother will calm down and start treating you with the respect you deserve, in the meantime find that place and make it as comfortable and relaxing as you can so you hopefully dont get to a stage where you are overwhelmed. You genuinely are cared for here. xxx

1 Like

So my brother thinks that he is autistic. And I know that he isn’t. “He said that everyone is a little bit autistic”
"That Autism is just a label. " "And that they test you for Austim when your a baby and that you have to be born with it. ". The absolute absurdity of it all.

Oh and one more thing he also said that they just find out autism disorder is a spectrum condition therefore everyone has it.

I have a counseling appointment in 2 weeks.

As for a place to hide, I don’t have any privacy.

I’ve been vegan for 4 years now and I told him that vegans live longer and he called me a lier and said that there is health benefits from having dairy and meat (chicken, cows, fish,lamb,)( etc.)

I got so frustrated, that my brother thinks that he knows more than I do about everything and he keeps treating me like I’m a stupid idiot.

2 Likes

From Mystrose: I’m sorry your brother argues with you about being a vegan after you’ve been one for 4yrs. I’m sure you’ve done your research and found true facts.

I see a couple things you can do. You can ask him if he’d like some information and educate him. You can sit down together and look at the facts. This might help him to understand better. You can also just ignore him when he makes comment like that if it upsets you. Some people don’t want to listen or learn, so it’s harder to get thru to them. I don’t know your brother, but I hope he would give you a chance to teach him.

It sucks when our belief system is challenged and I’m sorry he has done that to you. You deserve to have peace of mind and you matter.

1 Like

From Rohini_868: it’s tough when you believe in something and others don’t. It’s far more effective to show them, than to tell. Make yummy food, be happy and glowing from all the veggies and fruits, and eventually someone will ask you what you’re doing to feel so good. Offer to share some yummy snacks with them, not to try to convert them, but if they want to try something new. It’s easy to want to convince others, but people resists change a lot. Especially when it comes to food, everyone has the right to make their choices. Arguing doesn’t work. Snacks work better lol.

Hi Friend, Thank you for your post. Brothers can be a bit annoying cant they and I am sure sisters probably can too, I only had a brother and he was a nightmare, he would say anything he could just to wind me up, to upset me and make so angry and then one day someone said to me that when my brother was saying all those things and waiting for me to get annoyed or upset that I should just smile and walk away and I thought that was a really silly idea but I tried it and it worked, it took a couple of times but in the end he was bored becasue I wasnt getting upset anymore and he stopped annoying me. I think deep down your brother knows that you know the health benefits of being a vegan, I think hes probably just trying to annoy you and right now its working. try smiling and walking away.
You know what you know and that is all that matters. Look after yourself. Much Love Lisa. x

The dichotomy between the two of us is vastly different there nothing that I can tell him. He has to be right all the time he never admits that he is wrong, he gets absolutely defeated and frustrated and throws a tantrum. I don’t start arguing it’s not my fault he instigates it I hate confrontation I don’t like arguing and I don’t like fighting.

I tried the whole smiling and walking away bit, and he
still finds ways to infuriate me.

As for the health benefits of me being vegan, he has no respect for it or me and I’ve been nothing but patient with him. The dichotomy between the two of us is vastly different there nothing that I can tell him. He has to be right all the time absolutely defeated and frustrated and throws a tantrum.

Hi, That is a shame, then perhaps just allow him to have his thoughts however incorrect you believe them to be.
If the two of you cannot agree maybe you should just agree to disagree and not discuss that at all. It will keep some peace at least x

Oh ok, keep my beliefs about veganism and being vegan straight edge, to myself, um… ok…

I’m sorry he’s treating you in a way that makes you feel stupid, you’re certainly not, and I do hope you know that too.
For me personally if someone initiates a conversation to debate something and I know they aren’t going to really listen or that they just want an argument I try to tell them that I would be happy to share information with them if they are genuinely interested, but I don’t want to make arguments or have to defend myself for my personal choices. How do you think he would respond to something like that?
I can see how it would get so frustrating for you though. You have every right to live how you like, especially since it’s not hurting anyone. People get annoyed by things they don’t understand or don’t want for themselves and hopefully he will learn that it’s okay for people to do things differently. I do hope you keep being who you are and doing what you believe in.