This song has kept me going more than most around

This is a topic from YOUTUBE. Reply as normal, and we will post it to the user on YouTube.

Belongs to: Therapist breaths in Sulfur by Slipknot
This song has kept me going more than most around me will ever know. I was wounded twice in Iraq, once with shrapnel and another with a gunshot.

“I’m gonna suffer for the rest of my life
But I will always find a way to survive
I’m not a failure but I know what it’s like
I can take it or leave it or die”

I suffer from Combat PTSD, TBI, a torn up body and persistent nerve pain, these lyrics ring true 100%. I’m too stubborn to die but it’s never off my mind.

1 Like

Hey there friend,

First off, I just want to say thank you for being open with us here. We appreciate it and don’t take it for granted. I believe sharing what you are feeling, and what you have been through can help others feel less alone. Once again, thank you.

I cannot even begin to know how tough what you have been through, what you must be feeling, must be.

I am glad that you have music to help you in these times. Music helps me a lot as well in other ways, it helps me feel less alone, it helps me know that others feel how I feel, that I’m not crazy.

I too have had those thoughts that these lyrics speak. I have had moments where I thought nothing would would ever get better. I thought I would always be anxious, depressed, alone. I have learned that that is not true, it takes time and work, but these things that pain us in the moment can and will get better with time. I know in the moment it seems like that is not the case, sometimes those thoughts and emotions can become consuming. Sometimes it starts to take over my thoughts. Something my mom taught me when i was younger, that i didn’t really appreciate then but do now, is sometimes you need to take a step back and give it a minute. Sometimes we have to sit in these emotions we feel, kind of wait it out. It will get better.

I am proud of you for continuing on. Living with the pain you have been through has got to be difficult, but you keep going, and that is amazing, and inspiring.

I cannot begin to understand the pain you must experience every day. I am so glad that you keep going. I think a lot of others struggle in some of the same ways as you, and I believe what you have shared today can help them to feel less alone.

The line “ I am not a failure, but I know what it’s like” that speaks a lot to me. I have had many days where I feel like i failed at everything, like I cannot do anything right. Those thoughts took over so much of my life.

Please know that we are always here for you, here to listen, or to be a shoulder to lean on.

I appreciate you sharing your life with us here. I know that is not always easy.

You have made it through so much, and I am so proud of you. I believe you are in inspiration to others who need a reason to keep going.

I hope that music continues to be an aid to you. I hope it continues to help make you feel less alone, and like you have others who know how you feel.

Keep fighting friend, I can see that you are strong and brave. You are awesome.

Thank you for your service.

Sending love,
Lys