Thoughts/We are all enough

So I’ve been a little more active on here recently and it’s been incredibly helpful. Its really nice to be amongst a community that creates understanding. I’m especially hitting some realizations about who I include in my life and how much i value myself. Thank you to everyone who responds to my posts.

First of all, no longer surrounding myself with people who don’t believe in mental illness. I’m running into a lot of these people lately and they tend to dismiss my diagnosis (had a really great conversation about this within the comments under one of my posts so I’m repeating some of it here). They try to convince me to go off medication and that I need to meditate when my symptoms show up. Meditation is great. I also have a friend that tries to tell me that my mood disorder is really just characteristics of my zodiac sign. Again, the zodiac is fun to look at but not likely responsible for my diagnosis.

Second…I don’t support the obsession with “positive vibes only”. It’s not human to be continuously positive all the time. I feel like as a culture we are start to shame any negative emotions which is making us feel more isolated since it’s becoming harder to open up about how we really feel. Anyone else feel this way?

Third…in a rather individualistic, entrepreneurship society, I think it’s really easy to feel like you are not enough if you don’t have your own brand or aren’t leading something (however applauding anyone who owns a business). Yes dreams are important and I’m striving for mine. But sometimes I think we get down on ourselves if we aren’t the picture perfect image in our head or picture perfect for social media and for everyone to see. Do we always need to be seen constantly?
Whoever reading this should know they are enough wherever they’re at in space and that they CAN take up space even if they aren’t “where they want to be”.
I got rid of social media months ago. Sometimes I wonder what certain people are up to but I don’t really miss it. I’m not perfect and definitely don’t have it “figured out”…and a lot of days I do want to isolate… but today feels not too bad so just sharing some thoughts.
These are all just opinions…feel free to disagree

4 Likes

These are good realizations. Especially the harm of “positive vibes only”. I hide away all the time when I’m feeling negative emotions and it just causes them to intensify. I feel alone all the time. Past relationships have failed because anytime I showed any sign that I was upset that partner would withdraw and avoid, causing me to hide my emotions and be the “cool girlfriend”. It’s such a toxic position to be in and I’m still having trouble with it. Screw positive vibes only! Lol.

2 Likes

lol. and having good energy isn’t bad. Self belief is very important. But as you said, negative emotions only intensify if we shove them down. And its not to treat others as emotional dumping grounds. But if I ask someone how they’re doing, I want them to feel safe enough to express how they really feel, whatever that emotion is.

2 Likes

I’m so glad to hear that this HeartSupport community has been helpful to you. It’s awesome hearing you’re making positive changes and I agree with everything you’re saying. You’re definitely coming from a place of understanding and I love reading it. Thank you for sharing your experience and point of view!

1 Like

Second…I don’t support the obsession with “positive vibes only”. It’s not human to be continuously positive all the time. I feel like as a culture we are start to shame any negative emotions which is making us feel more isolated since it’s becoming harder to open up about how we really feel. Anyone else feel this way?

Oh… totally. And behind this, there’s this idea that we’re all responsible, as individuals, of our on well-being. But it totally neglects the importance of social interactions, solidarity and - as you said - vulnerability. It goes along with your third point. There’s this urge of being empowered all the time (do what it requires to be fit, healthy, social, to succeed in your career etc.! and show your success, even if you fake it). With this perspective, empathy and compassion are too often perceived as being naive. While it’s a strength… in my humble opinion. We need others to go through this rollercoaster called life. And there’s no shame to say it.

Whoever reading this should know they are enough wherever they’re at in space and that they CAN take up space even if they aren’t “where they want to be”.

Thank you for sharing this very precious reminder. :heart:

1 Like