Tight budget

Lately I’ve been stressed out and I can’t help but feeling like I’m going to cry so hard it hurts. Me and my dad are living on a tight budget and barely can afford anything. He is permanently disabled and has SSI coming through but not enough to last for a while. I feel like we can’t even afford enough food to last us for at least a whole month. I’m forced to sometimes to not eat a whole day because how tight of a budget we have. There are days where I cry myself to sleep due to our situation. I don’t know what to do and I feel like it’s never gonna get better.

5 Likes

Hi @RickyP

Sounds like you’re having a rough time, I’m sorry. There is help out there, tho. Try calling 211, the United Way has a lot of resources and might be able to help you find something that can help. You can call your city’s offices and ask if there are food banks (A big one comes once a month here and you get tons of food) and a lot of Churches will give you a couple bags of food as well. There are programs run by the city/state gov for people in need (call your city hall).

Is your dad waiting for his SSI to be approved or is he already receiving benefits? If he is still waiting, he’ll get back pay from the time he started the process. It’s usually a big chunk of change.

2 Likes

I’m sorry you are struggling. I want to echo what Mystrose said. A simple google search in your area should be able to connect you to resources/give you phone numbers of places that help people who are in the position that you find yourself in. Food pantries, etc. There are resources out there who want to help. Keep posting on the support wall as often as you need to. We are here to encourage you. I know things are hard. But you do not walk alone.

2 Likes

Hello Ricky,

I am sorry that you are going through it right now. I will bounce off of what Rosie mentioned in her reply. Just do some research to see what’s available in your area. There are also community gardens. There are sometimes even people giving away their extra produce from their gardens. It might take some time to look for it, but there are plenty of options for you and your dad so you aren’t going to bed hungry.

I know it’s a lot, but you got this. Take it one day at a time. Give yourself grace. Be kind to yourself.

-StarFox :yellow_heart:

3 Likes

Ricky, I’m so sorry that you and your dad are struggling with having enough money to meet your needs. And I’m sure it’s harder now with prices going up like they have. Have you checked to see if there is a food pantry or two near you? Also, do you have SNAP benefits? You should more than qualify for SNAP with your dad being disabled. Another thought is meals on wheels if your dad is house bound. Mystrose made a great suggestion to call 211 to check for local resources as well as checking through the internet. I hate that you are not getting enough to eat. Please let us know how you make out in checking for other sources for food in your area. You and your dad’s health is important. Please let us know how you are doing.

3 Likes

Hey RickyP,

I am so sorry you are going through this. It is never fun or easy to go through these hard times. Hunger is something that no one should face.

There are resources out there to help those in your situation, as the other responders have noted out. Both in making sure that you have good food to eat, as well as helping you out in getting the social programs and support available to you and your dad. Food banks, churches, social programs. There are a lot of social media groups that exist to try to help out other local people.

You got this, friend. One day at a time, let’s get you in a position where this isn’t a worry on your mind anymore. You’re loved.

4 Likes

Hey Friend, Thank you for your post, I am so sorry you are in this situation, being from the UK I do not know a lot about the resources available to you where you are however I am sure there are food banks and social services for people on SSI and it would definately be worth your dad looking into finding out if he is entitled to any futher benefits due to being in permenant disability as over here you get many extra benefits on top of just the basics. It takes a bit of time to enqire and fill in forms but its worth it if you get the help, also if you have the chance to sit down with dad and really work out a budget for where the money is spent and how best to spend any money on food so you can get as much as possible for your money to make as many meals as you can that would be good too. you could look online for budget meals. I wish I had more ideas for you but please know that you are loved and I hope that soon your situation picks up, you deserve better. much love lisa. xx

4 Likes

hi ricky,

i’m so sorry, my friend… no one should have to go to sleep hungry and crying. you and your dad do not deserve this, please understand that fact. i’ll echo the awesome advice mystrose shared of resources to lean on for extra support. check out this map if you’re U.S.-based to find a food bank near you: Find Your Local Food Bank | Feeding America

apps for finding local restaurants that choose to reduce food waste: https://www.oddbox.co.uk/blog/7-apps-that-are-helping-reduce-food-waste

all in all, i hope you are able to find the extra support you and your dad need. you’ve gone through so much and knowing that you’re still feeling such pain breaks my heart. please let your HS community know if you need any further help brainstorming ways to keep y’all fed. you are loved and there are people out there that are ready to help y’all.

love,
twix

3 Likes

hiRickyP,
First of all, I wanna say that you keep inspiring me with your courage. This is a brave post, and I genuinely mean that. I want you to know that you’re not alone-not in this struggle, not in this situation. There are some good suggestions for where you can access some assistance. But I want to let you know, without a shadow of doubt, that these programmes are in place to help folks who need it. There is no judgment, no need to hesitate or feel weird going to these organizations or locations and signing up. You’ve bravely taken care of your dad, and I hope you can reach out for the assistance and support you need.

Do you have any other family members or friends close by? Maybe they will have some ideas as well, or at least be able to accompany you to one of these locations, and be able to give you some peer support. We are all here, rooting for you. You’re brave, and strong, and I’m glad you’re here with us. You matter, friend.

3 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 365 days. New replies are no longer allowed.