Trying to talk to my family

This semester has been super complicated. I’ve had a lot of scary episodes, and major trouble functioning. I had an evaluation and was unofficially diagnosed with a combination of Bipolar 2 and Generalized Anxiety Disorder. I’m taking medication that seems to be helping some, and meeting with a counselor to try and figure things out. I’m visiting my parents for the holidays and have no idea how to explain what’s been happening without sounding like I’m making excuses for myself, or inviting ignorant comments and judgement. My mother knows something is up, just not what exactly, and will inevitably ask. My older sister is also diagnosed bipolar and hasn’t told them either. It tends to be genetic, and my mother has never been diagnosed with anything, but exhibits a lot if the same symptoms. I don’t want to sound like I’m blaming her. My younger sister has major issues too, but everyone avoids talking about it. I know most of the things that have happened recently aren’t even my fault, but I still feel guilty for not keeping up with things and acting ridiculous. I need to explain things without accidently telling everyone about my older sister’s issues before she’s ready for them to know, and without ruining Christmas by unintentionally making it about me. If anyone else has dealt with a situation like this, I’d appreciate any help or advice on what to do.

1 Like

tell them and try to make it so that they have no choice but to accept us i understand and there is nothing more than telling family something that you try to keep to yourself so others don’t worry

1 Like

it is one of the hardest things to do
atleast try ok?

Hi friend.

Opening up to family members about things going on can be hard. But it is okay. Maybe there can just be a time maybe at the end of the evening or after a meal to just pull someone aside and talk to them about what’s going on. Let them know how your evaluation went, what the results were and your treatment plan. I think it’s great that you are in the process of trying to find ways to help yourself through that and you may find that your family will be very open to that. Maybe even relate. Its okay to explain to them things that they could do to help when you are struggling. Communication is important.

I have Bipolar disorder too and often have to explain to people the easiest ways to communicate with me or where they could offer understanding when Im going through spells or a hard time.

It’s scary, but it’s a good thing.

I hope that your family is receiving of you when you open up and that you find that they are supportive. Just know if you need to talk about it before or after the talk, you are welcome to come here. There’s a lot of us who struggle with the same diagnoses that you do. So I’m sure a lot can relate.

Much love to you friend

• Kitty

Hello

I understand what’s that’s like. It took a long time to talk to my folks about my mental health other than what Google told them. Or how I was feeling on whatever day. My mom still don’t understand my emotional outbursts. It took my dad an even longer time to accept.

Your conflicting emotions are valid. You do not need to minimized. But sitting with your family and trying to tell them what is going on with.

I hope you find solace

Oh man I feel that a lot. 10 years ago, my parents did me the biggest favor anyone has ever done for me and told me to walk away from my full ride scholarship. 10 years ago, mental illness wasn’t a hot topic and they didn’t really know the full extent of what was going on, but they knew I wasn’t well.

I was ashamed and embarrassed to be around family, friends, anyone I knew. Turns out it didn’t matter to any of them. They had their own issues that were bigger to them than mine. I had a rough time and was doing what I needed to do, and that was okay. And then when I dropped out of school a second time, my mom said it was about time, that everyone knew I was unhappy and wondered why I was beating my head against a wall.

I would say talk with your mom one on one. Sounds like she has an idea of what’s up and will hear what you have to say. You don’t have to make Christmas all about you and announce it to everyone, but keeping it inside will eat you alive. Other than that, you aren’t beholden to anyone but yourself. Take care of yourself. I hope you find your peace.

1 Like