Underoath's Aaron Gillespie Describes Anxiety

This topic represents a Youtube video that was created by Heartsupport and where users are invited to open up about their mental health struggles.

• → You can’t reply on this post. If you want to comment, check out Heartsupport on Youtube instead! Replies posted here are from users who commented on Youtube.
  • → When a Youtube user is in need of support, topics are created for them in this forum category, where you can encourage them.

Aaron Gillespie from Underoath sat down with us at HeartSupport Fest 2023 to explain what his anxiety feels like.

1 Like

Yes. All of it. And our culture doesn’t help with all of the go go go and stimulation. I love that… we don’t just ask for help once and leave it there. “It’s all the time”

1 Like

I relate to this strongly. I have severe trust and abandonment issues. It ruins relationships, it locks me inside my house, it shapes how I treat myself. The defense mechanism I have to it is to depersonalize from myself. Even if there is love out there for me, I can’t feel it, as I can never be certain if I am leaving myself open to be abandoned again.

1 Like

So glad he’s seems to be doing well, wishing all the best

1 Like

Almost 40, and still struggle with anxiety, panic attacks, and depression as well. I also require medication and therapy every week.

1 Like

thank you for talking about this Aaron!

1 Like

Anxiety sucks, I haven’t had it very long I turn 30 next October but my anxiety manifested itself on July 10th 2020 and I will never forget slamming on the breaks in my car cuz I thought I was having a heart attack, I remember crying out to God to not let me die, the feeling of overwhelming fear, pure sure so intense in my chest I could hardly breathe, adrenaline so intense that it made my whole body numb, my heart rate skyrocketed to 175bpm and my vision blurred so bad I couldn’t see the door handle on the ambulance. Ever since that day a little over 3 years ago now I’ve struggled with feeling in control of myself, but like he was saying you have good days and you have bad days, chest pain and pressure is completely normal to feel all the time, the feeling like someone is poking your chest or abdominal muscles is also normal, it’s a weird mental disorder

1 Like