Understanding the source

Hello, I’m Roscoe. I’m new to the community and trying to figure all this forum stuff out.

I’ve felt in and out of a rut for the better part of the past decade. It wasn’t until very recently I have considered the idea of the source of this rut is mental health and emotional trauma related. I’m having a hard time dealing with that fact. I’m sure a lot of us don’t want to admit there is something wrong internally, and we want to believe we can fix it ourselves and be okay. In the process of understanding this, I’m curious as to what steps y’all take to reconcile this understanding? How do you accept it? What steps come next to deal with these problems?

It’s hard to feel drive, passion, and focus when lost in the dark night of the soul, self despair, and sorrow for the better part of the last decade.

@Scoe

First of all, welcome to the community, we are so happy to have you here! Thank you for sharing this with us. I know it can be daunting to post on here, but always know it is a safe place to share your thoughts and feelings.

I know that I was in denial for years about being depressed. I didn’t want to admit that something was wrong, I wanted to be strong and fix it on my own. I think that is our natural instinct, really. As much as society pushes the idea of being different and unique, at our core as human beings we crave to be similar to others, and I think that when facing mental illness it is easy to fee a make-shift divide between you and the world around you, it is easy to see what your dealing with as abnormal and that can be INCREDIBLY isolating. That’s why HeartSupport is so great, this community pushes back against the stigma that you are alone in what you are feeling and what you’re going through. The truth is that no one ever truly struggles alone, there will always be someone who can relate to you, so I think you are on the right track already. You have reached out and asked for help, that, for me, was the HARDEST part, because you have to first admit that there is something wrong, in order to admit that you need help. So I commend you for reaching out.

I would strongly encourage you to seek out professional help. I think that self diagnosing (not saying thats what you’re doing, because I don’t believe you are) can be dangerous, it’s important to get a diagnosis from someone who specializes in mental health. Seeing a counselor/therapist has helped me so much. I now understand myself and my mental health better. Therapy has given me tools to promote good mental health for myself and taught me better coping skills. I think that most people benefit a lot from seeking professional help.

We are always here to help encourage and support you.
Thank you again for shairng.
Hold Fast.
Hannah Presley