Unmotivated

I’ve been feeling very unmotivated lately. I can’t finish my school work, I don’t feel like talking to anyone, and I just feel like I want to un-exist. Simple tasks are also really difficult to perform. Everything seems so hard to do recently and no matter how hard I try I just can’t get myself to finish a task I started. Even the things I like to do. I feel so tired every day. School has drained me mentally and physically. I’ve tried so hard to get rid of it, but it’s so hard and it’s like I’m stopping myself from being motivated subconsciously. I can’t even find the motivation to open social media or even my phone. I’m mainly just doing online classes and laying in bed after that, doing nothing. I can’t even fall asleep. I don’t know what this is and I don’t know how to get rid of it. It’s so frustrating to me because finals are just around the corner and I can’t keep this up or else I’ll fail. I would like to take a break from life and everything going on around me, but that’s not an option. I need to get out of this “phase” but I’m not sure how.

5 Likes

It sounds like your life consists of unrewarding activities. When life involves too many tedious activities, it’s boring and often depressing. Once you are in that state of mind, it becomes self reinforcing, and even things you might have enjoyed before don’t seem worth the bother.

Another way of saying it is that you are in such a rut that it no longer seems that you can climb out of it.

You need to change your routine somehow. Rearrange your schedule if you can. Spend at least half an hour a day exercising. I like to do what I call a walking meditation or contemplation. For some reason, my thoughts become more positive when I’m doing something physical.

If your diet is poor, make it healthier. A lot of refined foods will cause first an increase, then a crash in blood sugar, which makes laying around and not doing anything the most inviting option.

We are at our peak mentally, only 20 or 30 minutes at a time. For me, it was really more than 20 minutes. Therefore, you might find school more endurable if you get up and walk around for a few minutes every 20 minutes or so. If you do that, your study time is likely to be three times more productive.

I hope you feel better. If you continue to feel down, try to hook up with a counselor.

2 Likes

You are loved, you matter and you are cared for greatly! Every day is a new day, and one thing can be accomplished at a time. I love to journal and one thing i can do with journaling is to write down a list of what i accomplished today. I like to make a list and then i like to make that list longer as I go. I do this by making sure i check off my self care list first (shower, brush my teeth, eat, etc) and then i go further up the ladder, (doing the laundery/dishes/etc). I do this by doing a few blocks at a time and schedule “nap time” for myself even if i know i wont sleep. This gives me an excuse to get to rest even when i dont want to. Know you are loved, you matter and you are cared for greatly!

3 Likes

Hey friend! I’m so sorry you’re feeling down lately. But proud of you for realizing it’s not a healthy mindset to be in. It sounds like things are a bit cyclical at the moment, which is probably boring your mind. I could suggest doing something new! Going for a walk or trying a new activity, anything to break the cycle and add some spice to life. Reaching out to a professional with whom you could talk things over and brainstorm possible solutions could also be an option if you haven’t already tried, and one I know I’ve found quite helpful. Take some time for yourself and try and find some things you enjoy! Keep on keeping on! It will get better!

3 Likes

Hello! It sounds like you are going through a very rough time in your life. Unfortunately when we get to the point you are it can kind of seem impossible to get out of the rut you are in. My advice to you would be all about taking tiny steps. Make a schedule of something you have to do everyday that gets you out of bed. If you spend all day in bed your body gets used to being in bed and sleep becomes impossible. Even if it’s just going for a walk for half an hour or sitting in your garden. Just find a way to disassociate your self from being in bed all day.

2 Likes

Hey pal!

Sorry about that- Its a really frustrating to be in a place like that and its hard to have motivation to do something AND to convince yourself to do and and to have motivation to motivate yourself. Its a doozy and a circle, I get it. I’ve been through those moments often. But Wings is right → it starts with giving the ultimate effort and starting small and it doesn’t feel any more worthy right away but the more you do, the more your effort returns. The small changes you make eventually start motivating you to do more and the things you liked to do slowly return. That’s how it worked for me in the past at least.
Stay strong !

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 365 days. New replies are no longer allowed.