Unopened letter : how do i move on for the weekend?

Hi !

Family context : i’m 37 y.o. and i have had a toxic relationship with my parents all my life. I couldn’t take it anymore and asked them to stop contacting me at the beginning of the year. They did it a few times anyway, and 2 days ago i received a letter from them that i did not open.

About me : i’m in a very bad state. I started seing a new psychiatrist since a few weeks, happens the old one misdiagnosed me and gave me an inappropriate treatment (neuroleptics) for years, so i stopped them but now i feel very very bad. Btw : i could be having complex PTSD.

About this weekend : this is a very special weekend for me cause halloween + Zevent (annual event that is very special to me) + my boyfriend is coming and havn’t seen him since July, this is my chance to have my head out of the water for 2 days.

My issue is, even though i haven’t opened the letter and it’s in my cellar far away from me, it’s still haunting me. I’m having intruding thoughts about all the scenarios of what could be in it and how i could react to each of them. I fear dark scenarios like they announce me someone died or have life-threatening illness, or they could also threaten me to expel me from my flat (sublease / sublet idk how to say that) or another bad thing.
Also them disregarding my limits is the story of my life, and it still feels so bad each time.

Do you have any advice on how i could keep my mind away from all this during this weekend and actually have the best time i can have ?
I really can’t open the letter now, i know it will destroy me and i don’t even have access to medical support until next week.
Thank you so much in advance :heart:

3 Likes

Hey @soloroad,

I’m so sorry that you are in this situation at the moment. I can relate so much to what you’ve shared. After years of abuse and toxicity I’ve ended up telling my parents to stop contacting me as well. When they did anyway, I was a mess emotionally. Just seeing that I could have received an email would make me feel sick and throw me in a very painful loop. I also often think of how it’s going to be the day I’d receive a phone call or a letter telling me something bad happened to one of them. I’m scared of how it will affect me, because it oftens feel like enduring, in this situation, rather than being in control.

My heart goes out to you, friend. I know there’s not enough words to really describe the complexity of the feelings we have in such situation. Just know that you are not alone, really. I have complex PTSD. I understand how hard it must have been for you to make the decision of setting boundaries with them and to finally let them know about it. You’ve been SO brave, friend. And even more as you’ve been seeing a psychiatrist and getting help - even though it wasn’t the right one at the time. These were very, very healthy steps to take for yourself, for your right to be yourself and to just live.

I’d like to ask, given your situation right now with this letter and the weekend: does your boyfriend know about the situation with your parents? Could it be something you would talk about, with him, so you could receive his support while he’s there with you? I imagine that, maybe you wouldn’t want to “bother” him with this. But it’s really okay to rely on the people we love when we feel distressed and stuck. This letter acts as some kind of emotional trigger to you. Talking about it with your boyfriend could be a way to free yourself, be supported and reassured regarding how it’s going to be in days or times to come for you.

When I was very emotional, ready to whether respond to my mom out of an impulse made of sadness/pain/anger, or whether I’d have seen a message from her that I couldn’t open, I’ve asked at some point some help from my partner too. I would identify: “okay, right now this is really affecting me a lot and I feel like I’m losing control”, and I would say it to him, who was in a very much better position than me to make decisions (or at least encourage me in a certain way). He helped me not responding to my mom out of an emotional storm. He listened to me when I was affected by my decisions and the fear of receiving a response.

It indeed feels bad when they disregard our limits. It’s not fair. It’s not fair to feel stuck in a relationship just because it pleases the parent, or because it makes them feel good about themselves, or because it responds to their needs.

No matter what are going to be your decisions regarding this letter, please know that you will be okay. It took me an entire year to finally open my facebook account and see what my mom responded to me after I said we were done. I just did it two days ago. Because I finally felt like I could do it. You will be able to find peace again. You will be able to thrive. You will keep growing more and more resilient. This is very heavy, loaded with lots of emotions. But you are not alone, friend, okay? We here are in this with you too.

On a separate note, are you going to have access to medical or therapeutic support next week? Do you intend to set an appointment or something? It would be good to solidify your road, somehow, for the next few days and weeks. Just to make sure you have all the resources and help you could need. Just so you can allow yourself to face those feelings in a safe way.

We may not know each other, but, I care about you. And I’m so freaking proud of you for slowing down and trying to make sound and rational decisions, despite the emotional storm that this letter has been carrying to you. :hrtlegolove:

3 Likes

Oh my god i wasn’t expecting so much kindness and attention, i don’t know what you say… thank you so much, from the bottom of my heart :green_heart:

Your message makes me feel understood and less alone. I’ve always felt so alone in this, i’ve never met anyone with the same story as mine, like i was a monster or something. Noone ever understood. But looks like you do !

Tiny correction : when i asked them to stop contacting me at the beginning of the year, i didn’t say i wanted to end the relationship alltogether. It was a move i made to protect myself after realizing things were so wrong i couldn’t continue like this, like in an impulse, but i had no plan at the time.
Of course i considered putting a stop to it definitively, but people told me to take my time to make a decision so i did.
From April i’ve been in crisis, almost attempted to my life, so i also had to survive and find solutions (the new therapist being the main one).
And now this therapist (who is a systemician) explained that family therapy would be worth trying, even if the result is a separation, cause it would help process things and make me feel more in peace with all this. So i might do that later but first i have to take care of myself and get better.

You right haha i am trying to not load my boyfriend’s shoulders too much with all this ^^ He supports me a lot already and as i am chronically in distress, i want to preserve the relationship as much as i can. But i take your advice :3 And yes he knows about all this, it’s just i can’t really let myself go, always trying to make it look like it’s still ok, it’s bad but there’s still this positive aspect etc. i think you know what i mean ^^
Also he’s usually supporting me by changing my mind (making me think about positive things), taking care of me (being affectionnate), he also makes me feel good about myself by saying i’m strong or else, but i feel like he cannot really understand what i’m going through and give me advice on how to react etc. And i don’t blame for it, at all, is just i need to get that from somewhere else (today it was you !)

it oftens feel like enduring , in this situation, rather than being in control.

This is it really :frowning:

Exactly, story of my life haha
Damn you really get it

Wow congrats on the facebook confrontation, i hope what you read there was not too disturbing. I see you’ve be going through the same kind of hell and you’ve been so strong too, and facing this after year must have asked so much courage. So thank you for being with me, and i’m with you too :fist:

Yes i have an appointement with a psychologist on Tuesday (i plan to open the letter just before that unless i don’t feel like it then), and i see the psychiatrist next Saturday (they work together). I don’t know how i would do without that !

Thanks again so much for the time you took and the empathy you gave me. Sending my best thoughts towards you, friend :sparkles:

2 Likes

hi there new friend!
do you have a trusted friend who is aware of the situation with your parents? Someone you’ve confided in before? This could help you process the contents of the letter indirectly, without having to put it all on your bf.

Would it be possible, if they are emotionally capable of it, to read the letter for you and let you know any important or Major details, like someone has passed or something? If there is nothing of substance that you NEED to know, if it’s just emotional drama or pleadings, you don’t need to know it. Straight facts about life altering REAL situations. You can even make a list of things that you would want to know (death, changes to your rent situation, critical illness, if u care about that) and stuff you don’t care to hear about (weddings, birthdays, guilt trips etc).

Also, in the most extreme option: you could just burn the letter. Anything they have to say can be re-said when you’re in a better frame of mind to hear it. This would be acceptable as you asked them not to contact you.

Please don’t feel guilty ever for taking care of your mental health and for growing and trying to free yourself of a toxic relationship. You are loved here and I’m glad you’re here with us!

3 Likes

:sob: Thank youuuu this helps a lot ! :green_heart:

I don’t know yet who that friend could be but i think i can find. It’s a great idea i might end up doing that ! Thanks for stating those details, this helps me see the line that could protect me

Burning the letter : i actually want to do this SO MUCH but feeling like i’m not allowed to, and reading you say it would be acceptable and legit feels really really good. Keeping that as an extreme option but still an option :slight_smile:

Sending back the love, i’m new to this place and i feel lucky i found it !

3 Likes

Yup, you didn’t ask to be contacted so you have no obligation to it. (I got the idea sort of from Big Bang Theory LOL with Howard’s letter from his dad). So proud of your progress so far, and excited for your future! Hope you make some wonderful memories with your bf when he visits! :smiley:

2 Likes

Haha TBBT ! Awesome :smiley:

Thanks again you rock :+1:

1 Like

To be honest, I would read the letter. It would drive me crazy knowing it’s right there or that I will never know what it said if I destroy it.

So, looking at the other side of this… you’re assuming the worst and it might not be bad at all. They could have realized that you mean business by distancing yourself from them. They could have had a change of heart and just want to apologize. who knows?

As far as meds, why you think you were given a wrong diagnosis? Being put on antipsychotics is a big deal so I was just wondering about that part of your post. I’m on them because I’m on the schizophrenia spectrum along with other things like PTSD. Only seeing your new doctor for a few weeks is not really enough time (in my opinion) to diagnose someone. So, perhaps you can elaborate a little bit on that part.

Without knowing the whole story about the “toxic relationship” you had with your parent’s, it sucks bad that you feel you can’t be around them anymore. I’m so sorry.

1 Like

Hey, thanks for trying to help.
I’m in a bad place right now and starting explaining why i anticipate manipulation or threats in this letter would just make me feel worse, but i have my reasons.
Same for the meds, i just firmly believe i’m on the right track now and wasn’t before. A diagnosis has not been placed yet, but my former diagnosis were bullshit and that’s for sure.
Thanks for understanding anyway

2 Likes

I hope you can find peace about this, I know it would drive me nuts too.

I’m really happy that you’re on the right path for a correct diagnosis. There are so many people out there on meds they don’t need to be on. Sounds like you’ve got yourself a great doctor.

:hrtlegolove:

2 Likes

@soloroad Thank you so much for your reply and for sharing more details. I apologize if I gave the impression of assuming that the contact was over with your parents. It’s not over with mine either. More in some kind of “pause” because the relationship itself was affecting me too much. I was being aware of how their way to “love” me has affected me through my life, and having to keep doing like everything was okay was too hard. Feeling controled, pressured to see them (or even to please them), feeling basically trapped in the relationship… that was absolutely unhealthy. If you’ve also been in a family where emotions and feelings are never shared or seen as taboo, you certainly feel the weight of learning to be in tune with your feelings and expressing them too. It’s like relearning your whole story. It’s heavy.

I’ve always felt so alone in this, i’ve never met anyone with the same story as mine, like i was a monster or something.

I often feel like I’m a bad daughter and just a monster for not being able to do more, to talk more to them at the moment. Like a bad person for somehow preventing my parents to be in touch with a child they love - but not the right way. You are absolutely not alone. It’s just a very complex situation and no decision feels absolutely right, because it would ultimately cause some pain one way or another. It’s about things that are difficult for everyone. But what is sure though, is that asserting our own limits is never wrong, and the way people react is not our burden to carry. Easier said than done for sure.

I can assure you that you are not a monster. You’ve been learning to understand what is right or not, to be more aware of your needs too. When we’ve been used in pushing them away because it would grant us the affection of our parents, then it gets hard to feel like starting over. It’s good that it happens though. Because it means there will be the possibility for relationships to become more balanced over time, if everyone is ready to face the issues that are very real, and to work on them together. In the meantime, you also learn to strengthen yourself, to process your emotions and understand what’s going on inside of your heart. It’s healthy. It’s fair. It’s a right thing to do.

Also he’s usually supporting me by changing my mind (making me think about positive things), taking care of me (being affectionnate), he also makes me feel good about myself by saying i’m strong or else, but i feel like he cannot really understand what i’m going through and give me advice on how to react etc. And i don’t blame for it, at all, is just i need to get that from somewhere else (today it was you !)

I am really glad if you feel less alone today. No one can ever be entirely in your shoes. But for sure, the complexity of such situations can be tough to understand for someone who’s not in it, because it’s not all black or white. It’s made of a lot, lot of grey areas, mixed up feelings, confusion… until clarity comes, little by little.

You sound to really have an amazing boyfriend who is a precious ally to you through all of this. It’s awesome that you trust him that way and that he is responsive in a supportive way. <3

As for feeling alone with this, I would recommend to have a long one of these days of the subreddit r/cptsd. When I was very very alone with this, when even my sister couldn’t be available or understand, I found quite a lot of understanding in this community. I didn’t participate, but I’ve read threads there from time to time. And it was somehow comforting to see that people were going through emotions I was feeling, and dealing with thoughts I was having. However it can be heavy to read those sometimes, and depressing too. So it’s better to be in a good mindset when checking there, and to see it more as a way to acknowledge that we are not alone in our struggles, even when they’re made of a lot of sublteties.

Yes i have an appointement with a psychologist on Tuesday (i plan to open the letter just before that unless i don’t feel like it then), and i see the psychiatrist next Saturday (they work together). I don’t know how i would do without that !

That’s really good! A great perspective. And sounds like a healthy plan as well, regarding the letter. You assure yourself a safety net afterwards + double meetings. I am glad you approach it in such a safe way. You could have been tempted to dive into some kind of self-destruction and use it as a way to hurt yourself. But you know that wouldn’t be fair. And that shows how thoughtful and strong you are too! I’m sure this is also some progress you’ve made since you’ve been addressing all this situation a bit more directly.

If you’re comfortable with it, I’d love to hear some updates from you afterwards. No pressure though. Just really wish it all goes as smooth as possible for you. <3

From April i’ve been in crisis, almost attempted to my life, so i also had to survive and find solutions (the new therapist being the main one).

I am grateful you are here today and didn’t listen to these thoughts at the time. Even more grateful that you’ve taken good actions afterwards so you wouldn’t stay stuck in this situation. That’s very similar to how it’s been for me. Now seeing a good therapist - after an okay-ish one but with a method I didn’t find useful, and a psychiatrist that was a disaster. It takes time also to find the right “fit” regarding therapy/therapist, so I hope you don’t let yourself discouraged either.

So i might do that later but first i have to take care of myself and get better.

Absolutely. One thing at a time. When we are ready to face something, we can feel it. And in the meantime, there’s no need to rush.

Systemic therapy can be very useful as well. Even without directly having a meeting with your family, you can find help through discussions regarding your family and how it works. I’ve had to do last year a family tree for my therapy. It was… heavy, but also somehow very eye-opening in many ways. Just to see how much generational traumas and dysfunctions were repeated over and over. And how much my definition of family has been shaken over time.

In the meantime, make sure to focus on the present for this week end. Enjoy your time with your boyfriend. Let him know if you feel like your mind is spiraling silently, so he could be updated and support you. If you need, consider writing down your plan regarding this letter. Sometimes it really helps to write these things down, so we know how things are going to be, and that we can commit to worry about it only later. Kind of a promise to yourself: okay, it will still be there anyway, but now is not the time.

You deserve to enjoy this week end. No guilt allowed. Everything at its own time. :hrtlegolove:

2 Likes

You’re incredible. I’m taking every word you said preciously with me, and i find so much peace in reading you :3 It gives me confidence in the future ! I’m afraid i can’t give you a proper answer right now, but i really intend to give updates (is here a good place for that ?), thank you so much for asking that and caring :3

a child they love - but not the right way.

You have a point haha, i think this sums up a big part of the situation and i like this saying, i’ll keep it :slight_smile:

I’ll try putting my plans on paper and let them sleep here until next week, feels like it can really help !
Boyfriend coming in 2 hours :))

Thanks again so much and have yourself a great weekend dear Micro :heart:

Edit : sorry i messed up i thought i could select every message with the “supported” tag ! But looks like it’s only one :frowning: You all helped me so much, i selected Sita’s message cause it’s direct advice for the problem i stated in the title and it might be the most of use to other people without entering the specifics of my own situation, but Micro you’ve put so much time and effort and heart in your answer i want you to know i am so grateful for that and it’s also the most helpful to me !

2 Likes

@soloroad,

Sorry for the late response. I realized I only responded to you in my mind lol. :man_facepalming:

I’m afraid i can’t give you a proper answer right now, but i really intend to give updates (is here a good place for that ?)

This thread can still be used if you want! Whenever someone posts, it will be upped at the top of the main page. Otherwise, feel free to open another topic mentioning that it’s an update about your situation. All is good, really.

Edit : sorry i messed up i thought i could select every message with the “supported” tag ! But looks like it’s only one :frowning:

No need to explain, and no worries! I am beyond glad that you feel safe and supported. It’s really the priority of everyone here. Don’t worry about the forum fancy tools!

I hope the week end was amazing, and that today will go as smooth as possible.

You’re loved. :hrtlegolove:

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 365 days. New replies are no longer allowed.