Update post #2 - “Scared of sleep”

Writing helps me a lot so I hope y’all don’t mind me making so many posts. Will probably make more in the future, please tell me if it’s too much. This one’s gonna sound more like a ramble and might not make too much sense. Here is a link to the previous post.

It’s the first night in a while that I haven’t had this nightmare, woke up feeling good, no aftereffects. I think talking with my friends and trying some of the stuff y’all mentioned in the comments before helps a lot (trying to distract myself/finding new thoughts works especially well).

Last night’s events: I did a practice session with one of my friends watching from a call, makes practicing easier as my mind has less things to contend with when he’s around and watching. It was way past midnight, we decided to talk for a bit. Having that ‘moral weight’ taken off felt pretty good, he told me: “the only real person in this dream, the only person this dream is truly affecting is you, so do what causes least pain to you even if that means speed running it.” Gave me chills just hearing that because from my perspective, that’s like accepting the stuff happens in the dream. If you’re reading this, and figured “that sounds kinda like me”, thank you for always being there.

And to my other friend, I’m really sorry I can’t give you specifics on the entire situation yet, (it’s not that I don’t trust you, there’s just family stuff) but I’ll tell you one day and it’ll all make sense.

I’m hoping future nights can be like this, then I’ll have energy and capacity to start fixing everything else that got broken/disrupted because of this. Still trying to find the specifics on how to avoid these nightmares entirely.

That’s all for now. Hope I won’t need to post about this anymore. Thanks for all you did along the way: disabledmetalfan, Bimini, Mamadien, Lisalovesfeathers, Mystrose, and lunxaire

6 Likes

Feel always free to post as much as you need, @8-bit, especially if writing helps processing, or just to move towards more healing. It’s good to hear that you have been trying out different things and are now experiencing positive effects. You truly deserve nights that would feel more peaceful, or even just more in control. Well done for the steps you’ve been taking and opening up about your struggles with sleep. May this be the beginning of a positive change for you, so sleep wouldn’t be something to fear anymore. :hrtlegolove:

3 Likes

hello! (Bimini here), thank you for the update! You can post as much or as little as you need! You’re always welcome.

I’m so glad you got a peaceful night that night, it sounds like you have a good friend who helped through the moment. Understandably the thought of accepting whatever may occur in dreams is hard indeed! I know it’s a daunting thought. I do hope that as you endeavour to find things that bring more peace that some thing will really stick and hopefully will be a routine that will continue to provide reprieve!

even if it’s just to talk about the dreaming aspect or just to say you’re having a bad day and don’t want to provide the details of why, you’re always welcome x

2 Likes

Hi @8-bit
feel free to post as much as you feel like and need. That’s what this forum is there for, so please don’t feel weird about it, it’s never too much especially if it helps you.
It sounds great to hear you are doing better and got a full night’s sleep. I know how crushing nightmares or a lack of proper sleep can be. Getting weight off your shoulders by talking about it surely helps.
I hope you will have more peaceful nights in the future. :hrtlegolove:

2 Likes

Ohh, perhaps I should clarify. It gave me chills to hear my friend just accepting what happens to him in the nightmare. It might not be super significant to him because he knows it’s just something in my head, but for me it’s a feeling I can’t really describe.