Venting about scars Tw sh

Since of my self harm addiction the scars have gotten worse i can’t wear barely any of my pants anymore because i have so many raised scars that there noticeable which i’m starting to hate because i can’t wear nothing i like i’m limited to stuff i just wish i could get rid of them

4 Likes

They may flatten out over time. There’s a process called “remodeling” that’s the final stage of healing, when the scars diminish in size, but it takes as much as 5 years for it to occur. A surgeon may be able to help. For now, loose fitting pants may be the best option.

Are you still adding scars?

1 Like

i’m not really adding scars anymore bc i’ve been clean for a month an 2 days now

3 Likes

That’s really great @Horselover200246 !! So proud of you. :hrtlegolove:

I have the same problem with my scars. They are very noticeable and I’ve had people ask me questions. It didn’t feel very good either. Self harm is just not worth it.

2 Likes

it’s just getting annoying bc my mom dosen’t know about some of the scars which i don’t need her knowing because i’m not going back to the hospital again

2 Likes

I think if she saw them, it wouldn’t surprise her. She already knows that you self harmed in the past and if she is smart she’ll know you hid it too. It’s ok. To be honest, I would be hecka proud of you if I was your mom because knowing that you haven’t self harmed for over a month is something to celebrate. You’re becoming aware of what happens after that moment and that’s good. You have to deal with the scars forever and for me they are a constant reminder of not why I did it, but how I over came it. That’s something I want you to be proud of too. :hrtlegolove:

2 Likes

Hey @Horselover200246, I wanted to reach out to you to see how you were doing. I’m so proud of you for not harming for over 2 months! That’s truly incredible, and I hope you celebrated that hugely. I’ve been struggling with sh too for a very long time and know exactly what you mean with those visible scars. I can imagine that it’s difficult to accept them as a part of you. Maybe you’re even a bit ashamed of the time that harming was a coping for you, I know that for me it sometimes feels that way. However, I’m also trying very hard to change the narrative about them. Yes, it’s part of a difficult time for me, but it also shows that I survived that time. And most of all, it shows me, and you as well, that we’re learning new and healthier coping mechanisms.
On days it’s especially difficult for me, I take out eye-liner and write things over them that I’m grateful for in this life. Just to remind me that there’s also good in this world. It’s one of those ways I can show myself how to accept them as a part of me. You can do with that information what you want, I just wanted to let you know that you are not alone in this. We’re here with you and rooting for you!
Hold fast :hrtlegolove:

3 Likes

yeah my mom still don’t like them as it is i’ve gotten yelled at for her finding new ones

1 Like

I’m sorry she yells at you. Maybe you can explain next time that you are self harm free.

If you don’t want people to see your scars, there are over the counter scar treatment creams, makeup made specially to cover up scars and scar tape. Maybe you could try one of those out.

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.