Wanting a better relationship with god

hi i would like to get closer to god and just wondering what are some things i could start about that…i deal with anxiety have some depression…my mom pushes me to go to church but i feel to have a close relationship to god i dont have to attend every sunday i feel like i could have that one on one connection with him with out having to attend in a public setting

1 Like
  1. Study the Bible. I’m not saying buy that bible or to buy anything but I do trust that specific translation.

https://www.google.com/search?q=esv+study+bible&client=ms-android-mpcs-us-revc&prmd=sbivn&sxsrf=ACYBGNTK9KT_OF5VBiy0kJd05CfEi9wdkg:1578452630634&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwib1d-igvPmAhUGac0KHRvPBe8Q_AUoA3oECBAQAw&biw=360&bih=560&dpr=2

1. Digest some solid preaching. The below website will take you to a wealth of information. You can look up some specific topics or passages of interest.
1 Like

100% best advice I could give you is to read that Bible and pray alone and do a little studying and reflection. Obviously Christians do like to come together weekly or more but for a new person or an outsider, sometimes they just need the basics. People get in there and discover history and see how humans have always been and they see how loving and patient God is. I loved reading your post above because that is a great curiosity and I hope you cultivate that seed of interest. Don’t be persuaded by crowds and loud voices…do your own studying and find the truth for yourself. Cheers, I hope to hear an update down the road.

3 Likes

Hey there!

First off, I think you’re making a really good choice to pursue these things :grin:.

To understand how to get close to God, it’s helpful to understand first what makes us distant from Him. Sin distances ourselves from God. The Bible talks about how, even from birth, we all by nature act contrary to how God has commanded and instructed us to act. (See Psalm 51:5, and Isaiah 59:2).

There is good news, however. This barrier between man and God that was built by sin has been torn down by Jesus Christ. Even though He Himself never sinned, He died and rose again, completely paying for the sin of those who will turn and put their trust in Him.

Once we put our faith in Jesus, we are adopted into the family of God. The Bible talks about how we are “reconciled” to Him (Romans 5:10). This is the beginning of how we become close to God. :slightly_smiling_face:.

From there, we gradually grow closer to God in our faith. Learning through sermons and Bible reading is helpful. I also recommend the resources @Brett1987 recommended.

I think it would be beneficial for you to attend church regularly. Keep in mind that church is not just about listening to a service and leaving, it is about a community that strives to grow closer to God. Having that community is very beneficial. The Bible talks about how we shouldn’t neglect this assembly (Hebrews 10:25).

I hope this is helpful at all! I’m still learning as well, but I’m totally open to any questions you may have. Let me know if there’s anything I can do to help! :grin:

3 Likes