When bottles talk to you

for the most part I have been doing okay with my sobriety, but today when I went to the store to get groceries, the vodka bottles started talking to me again.
for some time I just stood in front of them, listening to what they have to say to me, but with tears in my eyes and swear words on my lips, I walked away.

usually I when I walk past these aisles I whisper to myself what I think about these bottles and that I don’t need them.

I know I have been stressed out and burned out lately, and I am pretty annoyed by a friend I am working for, and I do know I have not been taking care of myself, but when the bottles start to talk again, I know I have to do something, I just don’t know who to reach out to.

2 Likes

As far as who to reach out to - are you in AA or a similar program (celebrate recovery is another good one)? Do you have a sponsor? Any close family members who have awareness of your sobriety and reasons for being sober?

As for the rest of it, the temptation is real. My husband is an alcoholic and has been sober almost 4 years. He still says he wishes he could crack open a Guinness sometimes.Through him being in AA and me attending Alanon to support him, the best piece of advice that even I use is to take things one day at a time. If you can’t see yourself getting through one day, focus on one hour. If an hour is too much, focus on getting through one more minute without giving in to those bottles whispering. One moment at a time is sometimes all you can focus on. <3

1 Like

@MommaFoxFire
Thank you, I appreciate it.

My family doesn’t really understand any of it, most of my friends are all over the globe right now and there is not really any AA near me. My former “sponsor” moved 4000 miles away and were not in much contact since, even though we’re quite good friends.

I’m mostly okay right now, I think, but it’s hard, especially when I’m doing it all by myself.

1 Like

@fiji

They offer AA online as well (for free) - maybe you could find a sponsor there?? Or reach out to a local church to see if they offer any recovery programs, most will at least have a free resource you can talk to even if you’re not religious.

Going it alone really sucks, but that’s what this forum is for. Now you’re not alone. :blue_heart:

1 Like