Where do I go next?

Man a lot has changed within the last two years for me. My one and a half year relationship ended, Covid hit, and I was at a place where I was physically and emotionally alone. I took on some recommendations to try counseling and, for me, it work! I became passionate about life again. Because of counseling, I actually got really invested in mental health and started to look into more education. I graduated college and now have started my Master’s education. I am studying mental health counseling as a profession and I am enjoying every second of it.

However, I feel that creepy anxiety of what is my next step. There are a lot of considerations for counseling. What state should I practice in? What specializations should I be invested in? Has Covid ruined the face-to-face element of the practice?

As these questions race through my mind, I laugh at myself being so focused on the next thing. I think it is nice just to take a breath and take a look back of all that I have accomplished so far. I have come so far! I can take pride in being able to survive a pandemic and a heartbreak. And now as my heart grows heavy for those who are still hurting. I have a long way to go, but I want to be able to enjoy the journey.

Where do I go next? Honestly, I have no idea. But all I know is it is just one step forward from where I have been. As I learn to advocate for mental health, I hope to encourage people to take a breather and appreciate how far they have come. :smile:

9 Likes

hi @BassGuitar2017 !

WOW, this post is an inspiring one and i am so thankful you posted your story here. it shows me many things, one being how you can turn a low situation into a positive change for yourself and others. you’ve also shown me that there will always be some uncertainties at any stage of life but hey, it’s more important to enjoy the here and now.

i am so proud of all you’ve accomplished and i’m so excited for your present and future! and as you said, i am also thankful for your past because all of it got you to where you are now. sending you so much luck as you pursue your master’s education and become a fantastic counselor and advocate for mental health!

love,
twix

3 Likes

Hi @BassGuitar2017
Thank you so for posting at Heartsupport and for such a wonderful and uplifting post.
It always warms my heart to read a post that talks of such progress after emotional turmoil or trauma.
You have had more than your fair share of upset over the last two years and you have not only come through that, you have sailed through and taken on helping others which is wonderful.
I admire you so much for what you are doing and I hope this post encourages others who too are struggling at the moment to see that they can get through tough times and come out the other side, still having the odd rough day but aiming for the stars.
Whatever your next step is, I wish you all the luck in the world and keep reaching for your own stars.
Much Love
Lisa :heart:

3 Likes

Hey @BassGuitar2017,

Wow. Just… wow. What a powerful message right there. I love it. All of it. The testimony of your hardships yet your growth through therapy. Your developed interest for mental health and the meaningful desire to serve others with the experience you have and the training you’ve received. This willingness to not just own your story for yourself, but also for the sake of others who faced or are facing similar struggles and helplessness. This is beautiful.

You are damn right: the next step will happen no matter what. It’s okay if you don’t have all the answers yet. Asking more questions first is, somehow, part of the process of figuring out what this next step is going to be. You might experience, try and have to adjust from time to time. But you will never fail as long as you keep trying and learning from each experience that you will have.

What a beautiful spark that you have. How inspiring is this serenity - the one that also acknowledges the uncertainty of life itself - that you are sharing here. Thank you for your post. It is full of this strong intuition that knows when things are finally coming together in harmony, and will keep doing so. You’re on the right path, friend. :hrtlegolove:

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.