Why is it so hard making friends?

Its so difficult for me to make friends. I don’t know what to do or say. I don’t know how to act normal and friendly. Im always afraid i’ll say something weird and lose their interest in the friendship. I wish i had people to celebrate and live life with

1 Like

As with anything there’s risk involved and when you take risks you are making yourself vulnerable to others. I had that same issue a few years I was betrayed by so many people that I didn’t trust people. I became bitter, lonely and depressed. I hope you can make good decent friends and watch for red flags if your gut feeling is telling you something isn’t right go with it.

Hi Amaris,

I understand how difficult it is to make friends. I’ve never been popular and have never really considered my group of friends very big, but I know the friends I do have are genuine.

As for ‘acting normal’, I have two things : 1) there is no such thing as normal in my opinion, we all have unique personalities and 2) you shouldn’t be acting a certain way to make friends. If someone doesn’t like you the way you are then you don’t need them in your life, it really is as simple as that. Don’t be afraid that you will say something weird because a true friend, a genuine person will take the time to know you and understand why you act and say the things you do and they will do those things without judgement. You shouldn’t ever have to try to make friends. It should just happen.

Granted things are slightly more complicated now with Covid. I don’t know any of your interests but maybe you can go to a game store or a library or any other place that sells/hosts things you’re interested in and see if you can strike up a conversation with someone about that respective thing. It gives you a free ice breaker as you already know you have something in common just be being in the same place which is specific to a certain interest.

I think it’s important to remember that you are worthy just the way you are, and you will find people who share interests with you and I’m sure some of them would be more than happy to learn about you and hang out. Just don’t feel forced, because you shouldn’t change anything about you during the process otherwise the relationship may not last since you (theoretically) are acting and saying what you think they want to hear as opposed to how you really feel. That’s too much effort put into the wrong place. Just be you and use that effort to find a place with like minded people and go from there.

Do you have any hobbies or interests that you wouldn’t mind sharing? That might be a good place to start.

Just be yourself when your around other people. Trust me most people wont judge you as much as you will judge yourself. Best wishes