Work makes me want to die

tags won’t work so TW: self harm, suicidal thoughts

i hate working at a dollar store in the city. i get that people are going to be rude everywhere but i can’t handle retail. “it’ll make you stronger” is what people tell me but when i go through stuff like this it only makes me want to kill myself and/or become blank and lose all emotions towards anything even if it’s a good thing.

the manager had never liked me ever since i started and continued to keep a rude and annoyed tone with me over even small things and she never did that to anyone else when i hear her talking to others. i get that some people just won’t like you but i was already feeling suicidal that day so it didn’t help. it also didn’t help that she was being aggressive and slammed a roll of coins open on the register and stormed off. i cant deal with that because it reminds me of trauma and i almost cried in front of customers.

i want to hurt myself so bad, i’ve been wanting to for about a week. i’m not going to tell anyone, especially since after i moved i get little to no time with my boyfriend and friend, won’t waste it with being a burden.

why do i have to waste my life away working. i only work part time and i already don’t have any motivation or interest in things i love and when i worked full time i didn’t have time and even when i did, i couldn’t do it because i was so suicidal. why do i have to do this with the only life i have? what’s the point? i’m going to get old and then die in a nursing home without having done anything i wanted because i’ve just wasted my time working until i’m too frail to live. why do i have to be stuck not doing anything i’m passionate about. i know i’m only 20 but people my age (and younger) are releasing music and art and becoming successful doing it. why do i have to do this? my hobbies are expensive and i can’t do anything.

1 Like

Hey @limeytea,
My older sister, who is a nurse, said I have two options when I pick my career. I can pick a job I don’t want/dislike that pays a lot, and therefore allows me to do the expensive things I like, such as traveling. Or, pick a job I like and be happy there, but settle for less for my personal life. Either way, you sacrifice something.

A wise old man once said, there’s always life at the end of the tunnel. It may been dark, but if you just keep moving, you will find yourself in a better place.

Try to hang on. Things are bad now. Doesn’t mean they’ll always be. There’s life after life. :slight_smile: hope this helps.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.