This is my 7-step plan to keep me safe in difficult moments I face. I’ve thought through these steps in advance to make it easier for myself to get help when I need it.
Signs that a crisis may be developing (thoughts, images, mood, situation, behavior).
- Sign 1 - Increasing frequency of panic/anxiety attacks
- Sign 2 - Fixation on sharp objects/potential ligatures for more than two-days in a row
- Sign 3 - Short temper/lack of empathy/lethargy/inability to process complex thoughts for more than a week
Things I can do to take my mind off problems without contacting another person (relaxation technique, physical activity, etc.)
- Strategy 1 - Glass of whiskey and hobbies - Warhammer, xbox, music,watch anime
- Strategy 2 - Duvet burrito and grounding techniques
- Strategy 3 - Pray! STop forgetting to pray in a crisis!
Things that are most important to me and worth living for (these can be big or small, anything from loved ones to your morning coffee)
- Live For 1 - God likes me being alive
- Live For 2 - I’ve got a whole lotta future with my wife
- Live For 3 - You’ll never headline David’s Tent or worship with Jeremy Riddle if you die
- Live For 4 - You gotta be here when Kendrick FINALLY drops his next album
- Live For 5 - Let’s face it, God’s gonna screw up any suicide attempt anyway, so you might as well CHOOSE to live
People whom I can ASK FOR HELP (friends or family who you can call at anytime for support)
- Supporter 1 - My wife: Dude, she literally lives with you. Ask for help.
- Supporter 2 - Pastor A: He’ll literally move mountains for you if you ask; remember you benefit from blatant favouritism and reach out
- Supporter 3 - Yo mama.
Professionals or agencies I can contact in a crisis
- Name & Number of Clinician - Not disclosing online
- Name & Number of Local Urgent Care Services - not disclosing online
- Preferred Crisis Service (Choose one of the below)
- (Text) Crisis Textline - text HOME to 741741
- (Call) Suicide Prevention Lifeline - 1-800-273-TALK (8255)
- (Text) Trevor Project LGBTQ+ - text START to 678678
- Other (explain): local crisis team line (not disclosing online)
Things I can do to make the environment safe
- Safety 1 - Ask wife to put hobby scalpels and razor’s somewhere out of sight
- Safety 2 - Don’t buy any weed - no unhealthy coping mechanisms, we live like men!
By inputting my forum username below, I am committing to utilizing this safety plan in my next high intensity moment when I need support.