I've put myself in a really bad situation

So, for context, I struggle with Borderline Personality Disorder and moderate to severe depression and have for a while now. On that front I’ve been doing a lot better thanks to being on the right meds, but the period of time where I wasn’t has left me one hell of a mess to clean up, and I’m overwhelmed and afraid.

I graduated college in 2017 with a BA in English. Originally it should have been a BA in English and a preliminary teaching credential, but my student teaching placement was the perfect storm between an incompetent mentor (which I still don’t think is true, but the program supervisor insisted that my mentor was a bully) and the executive dysfunction my depression brings. March of that Spring 2017 semester, I shamefully returned a stack of ungraded papers taller than my head and finished the last semester of my undergrad experience alone in my apartment dissociating.

The plan from there was that I would finish student teaching as a graduate student the next semester. I got placed at a wonderful high school with two wonderful mentors, and with classes that were honestly great. Even the “worst” kids were more troubled than mean. But there were often days where I couldn’t even bring myself to get out of bed. Four or five times I called in sick the morning of, and it was irresponsible and unprofessional. I was kindly asked by my mentors and my program supervisor to step down, take the rest of the semester to get it together, and try again.

Spring 2018 came around and it was my last chance. I finally got on a medication that helped and while I’m obviously not magically cured, I’m able to get out of bed every day. I threw myself into student teaching and neglected the actual coursework. My supervisor was fine with this but I really, really wish she hadn’t been. The coursework prepares you for the edTPA, a very large project that you must complete before getting your credential. I did a great job teaching and got a glowing letter of recommendation from my mentor, and both she and my individual supervisor signed off on all of my competencies, which is the other piece I need for my preliminary credential. That just left the edTPA.

That was back in April. I was done student teaching and I’d taught and filmed the needed lessons for my edTPA, but I was overwhelmed, in part because of another incomplete course from the Fall 2017 semester that I was still working on. I managed to complete that by the end of May but still hadn’t even started on my edTPA, and without a concrete deadline, my executive dysfunction issues ran wild. It stayed untouched through June, and July, and suddenly August came and I realized I was going to miss the last turn-in date before the start of the school year.

I am so utterly ashamed of myself for letting things get this bad. Today, September 6th, is another deadline. The next one after this is in October. I’m out of money from the trust fund that funded my college experience and paid for my life expenses. Still, I only have one tiny section of my edTPA done, with just nine hours to go until the deadline. And even assuming I get it done, which I hope I will, I can’t apply for any kind of teaching job until the results come in and until I then submit those and wait for my credential–and that’s assuming I even pass. I tried applying for a personal loan and was denied because of my student loan. I tried asking if I could retake the student teaching course one more time, since that would mean I could get another student loan, but was gently denied since I completed the student teaching already.

Moving back home is not an option because my mom is emotionally abusive. But I don’t know what else I can even do. I’m scared and have no idea what on earth to do. I have about 25 days before rent will be due again and I’ll be officially screwed. Is there some road I’m not seeing? Is there anything at all I can do to dig myself out of this hole?

Hi there prompto! ( ´ ▽ ` )ノ

Thank you so much for coming and sharing here!
I wanted to first say: I’m so proud of you for getting some of the work done towards completing your edTPA project done!
I imagine it can be hard to get work done and even just get through life one day at a time when you’re living with mental illnesses. But I think every small step forward and accomplishment should be celebrated! :tada:

While you have one deadline coming up today, and not a whole lot of work completed yet, you mentioned you have another one in October.
I know it can be hard to not beat yourself up for not doing what you needed to do on time.
But you still have time! And you can absolutely focus on getting everything wrapped up by the October deadline! :fire:

Some options you have in regards to finances while you work towards completing your edTPA:

• Cut down your living expenses to the bone - only the bare necessities for now.

• Roommates! Depending on your temperament, getting a roommate is one option to help offset living expenses.

• Maybe there are other family members or even friends you can try moving in with?

• Grab a part time or full time job! You may not be able to get a teaching gig yet, but your campus may have some available student positions for you along with working in the retail or food world!

• Look into scholarships or grants! You may still be able to qualify for some.

• If you have a good-strong social media network/presence you can also try the crowdfunding/gofundme route.

• Depending on where you live, there may be some local resources available to you to help you make sure you can at least get food.

• If you have a car there’s also signing up to be a driver for lyft?

• If you’re a dog lover, there’s a dog equivalent to that called Rover that may be available in your city where you can walk people’s dogs!

I wish I could think of more things to help you, and I hope you’re able to find a solution. You still have time and you’re doing the best you can. :sparkling_heart:
You’ve got this! ೕ( •̀ᴗ•́ )

-Deer

I know you are upset with yourself but look at how far you have come. You’ve gotten through most of college, finished your student teaching, and you got help for your mental health to help you function better.
Even though you are behind in your work you it doesn’t mean that you cant get out of this. If you don’t finish tonight you can work on it till October. You said that money was an issue and moving back with your mom was out of the question. Maybe it would be a good idea looking for a job and asking understanding family or friends to let you stay with them for a little bit till you are able to get back on your feet.
There is no shame in asking for help thank you so much for sharing what you are going through. Try to remember all the things that you have already accomplished and let that encourage you to keep going.
I believe you can do this and will be a great teacher!
Love you!

:heart: flyleaf

thank you so much for the reply ;u; i actually spoke to a friend and worked out a new plan, which is to do what i can whenever i can on the edTPA but in the meantime applying to every job i’m even slightly qualified for. i’ll be fixing up my resume and blasting it out there, and hopefully someone out there is down to pay me at least like $12 an hour full-time, and i’ll be golden. it’s not my original plan but i need to learn to accept that just because i meant to do something doesn’t mean the world will end if i do it differently. ^^;

1 Like

thank you so much. <3 i have a nasty habit of looking at what i haven’t done and writing off what i have. you’re right…getting a degree is an accomplishment, and one i think i never properly appreciated and celebrated. like i said in my other reply, the new plan is to get any ol’ job and go from there. your reply actually helped me move towards considering that idea! as for moving in with family or friends, i unfortunately have no irl friends and don’t have any family up here, and up here is where any few connections i have are…plus the family i have don’t know about my mental health issues and i’d like to keep it that way, and my shortcomings are hard to explain without that context. it’s a very nice thought though! i think i can make it on my own, and if i can’t, well…i’ll cross that bridge when i get to it.

You are so welcome! :sparkling_heart:

And that’s awesome to hear! And yes! Apply to every job you can even if you don’t meet the full qualifications! Because you never know! ( ´ ▽ ` )ノ

Sometimes, things don’t go how we originally planned. But much like how coyotes have constantly adapted to survive changes in their natural habits and are now thriving, we too can learn to adapt so we can thrive as well. ٩(๑❛ワ❛๑)و
One door closing opens another one, as they say!

You can do it! We believe in you! :tada:

-Deer

1 Like