Just trying to stay afloat

It’s that point in the semester where I am feeling stressed and overwhelmed. I’m trying to stay afloat and do the best that I can but I’m struggling. I just want to do well and yet there is a lot stacked up against me. I’m fighting like hell but no one cares, not only do I have to deal with school but outside factors as well. I just want to pass everything, graduate and move on towards my goals and yet that seems impossible and far away.

1 Like

Man, the mid-semester slump…honestly, feels like you’re trapped in time, or like you’re trudging through some kind of molasses swamp…every day feels like it lasts forever…you’re living for that bell at the end of the day to say that you no longer have to be trapped inside of that box of “education”…you feel like so many people around you have false intentions and fake smiles, and you feel like your life will be better when you can just move away, move on, start anew, find new people, new purpose, and have the opportunity to pursue your dreams without having so much obligation imposed on you by others. And yet…time ticks…so slow…you’re just ready to move on!

I get that, man. I really, really do. I remember counting every second between me and going home because it felt like freedom. I remember feeling like no one cared, like I was alone, like life was going to happen when I graduate.

And there’s definitely a shade of truth to your hunch. But what I wished someone would have told me was that the person I am becoming is being made right now. I picked up some terrible habits of procrastination, of avoidance, of gossip, of negativity, of self-centeredness, of not knowing how to enjoy my circumstances or be present…I developed all of those while I was “waiting for my future to happen”…the truth is, the only common denominator throughout your entire life is the person you are. Your character, your habits, your thoughts, your abilities…everything that makes you YOU. And while there’s a lot of stuff that yeah will happen when you graduate and a lot of things will change, one thing that’s being formed RIGHT NOW is your character. And if you want your dreams to happen, you actually have to become the type of person that can handle those dreams, that can support that type of responsibility…and right now, you’re developing some habits that I don’t think will be helpful for you in your future. I think you could find so much purpose in your life right now if you were to re-frame this opportunity – that if you really are serious about your dreams, that you’d take some time to begin with the end in mind…

what is your dream?
what type of person do you need to be to handle that dream? the money, the responsibility, the relationships, the power that comes with that dream becoming a reality?
what types of habits does that person need to have?
what ways does that person need to think?
what are the pitfalls that could really take that person out?

Consequently, you’ll create this profile of the person you need to become in order to handle the honor of living out your dream. And if you can do your best every day to become more like that person, you’re actually going to make this time in your life extremely fruitful and meaningful. You’ll feel purposeful and like you’re training for something that makes a difference.

I hope this is a perspective you’ll take a couple hours to really make a reality, because I believe that if you do, this could very well be the most impactful year of your life.

2 Likes

Hey @mufcninja - I’m sorry to hear that you’re feeling stressed and overwhelmed. You’re definitely not alone with feeling this way! The middle of each semester can be difficult, especially if you’re a little behind, but look at it this way: you still have 3 whole months to catch up! Make sure to find time to take care of yourself too and to find peace within the midst of chaos (i.e. take some to mediated and make sure to get enough sleep). Keep pushing! You can do this! We believe in you. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Hey friend,
You are not alone, I too am in school still and to say it sucks would be an understatement.
I know it may seem obvious, but the way I cope with everything is by pre planning EVERYTHING. I have set schedules for revising certain topics, subjects and exams and so on. This really helped minimise stress for me, I don’t know if this helps?..

I know the future seems so far away right now I’m in the exact same boat but it is closer than we think or know, persue whatever it is you want and just do your best you can’t regret anything if you’ve tried you best and worked your hardest.

I believe in you friend! I know you can do this!

Hold fast,
Love Luna :heart:

3 Likes

Thanks everyone. I’m still fighting and still doing the absolute best that I can. I know that it is a struggle but my goals are worth it. Overall just trying to get through the week and hope that I will be successful in what I need to do.

2 Likes

You’ll do just fine my friend. Just keep the eyes on the prize and keep working like you’re doing. Not sure if you’ve tried it, but meditation helped me cypher away Unnecessary thoughts and felt recharged. You got this brother👊

3 Likes

@mufcninja focus on one thing at a time friend. People do care about you - everyone here cares and we’re all here to help you how we can. Make a list of the things you need to do in order to reach your goals, breaking it down into smaller things and get through them a little bit at a time. I go through phases where I get so overwhelmed by everything so I understand it’s easier said than done. Is there a school counsellor or someone you can speak too? Even if you go for one appointment, sometimes that’s all you need to get your head round things.

Hold Fast
Kayla

2 Likes

Thank you @GrundySmash I think I will and I will look into meditation. @Kayla I have to remind myself that people do care which is concept I am still getting use to (long story.) I do see a counselor at school and he has been helpful in helping me cope with school and other situations. Also I’ve been listening to this song (Machine Gun Kelly: Invincible) on repeat and that is getting me pumped through the week. Thank you all again :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Believe me, I understand. Even though people do nothing be reassure me that they love me, with my family history I just find it impossible to accept. However have you looked into the HeartSupport phone app? there are some Truth audios on there, they are just a few minutes long recorded by the HS staff and they’re pretty amazing. Keep fighting, you’re doing well <3

Hold Fast
Kayla

2 Likes

Hi @Kayla I did not know that there was a Heart Support app I will look into it. Thank you. Hope that you are having a great day. :smiley: