Ok, well i guess this is it

So im kinda having anxiety writing this because i am not sure how to write this based on past anxiety issues.
So, i have anxiety over talking to big crowds of people but im good talking to my friends or 1 on 1. and well its my senior year. i have done band since 6th grade. and doing my tests infront of my classmates/teachers usually hasnt been easy because i go into panic mode and my teacher of course knows it but its usually my exam grade. i dont op out because its a grade and i want to keep my grade an A in that class. okay so the issue is marching band has crown jewel (focuses on the music purpose) and marching mpa (focuses on the marching). and well, since i believe my freshman or sophmore year ive gotten either bad panic or a really good reaction to were i have anxiety and i dont know what to do on the field because im usually in the front for the first 3 movements, and its like i know what to do during my anxiety episodes but what do i do when i am not able to do it. i just … i dont know i really dont want to have anxiety my senior year because its just i wish it would just go away. anyone have suggestions i could use that wont cause me to either be run over or fall. anything will be appreciated.
-ashley

I’m sorry that this has been an ongoing struggle for you and I totally understand wanting to have a smooth senior year. Have you tried talking to your band teacher about your anxiety? I know it can be scary but they might have felt similar to you or possibly have helped other students going through the same thing you are going through. I don’t know much about marching band but I did choir in high school and some things that helped me with my anxiety and preforming was not looking at the crowed or practice deep breathing exercise to calm down before going out. I don’t know if this helps at all but am praying for you in your last year of high school. You are not alone in this and taking about it here is very brave of you.
know that you are loved!

-Loveinflyleaf

1 Like

Hey Ashley,
Anxiety is shit (for lack of better words). I’m really sorry you have to deal with that, it’s completely unfair.

I deal with anxiety by practicing certain breathing techniques. Sounds stupid and useless but anything is worth a shot, I also just let myself go into a far off sort of head space. I don’t let myself think of anything negative before I do something that might potentially trigger an anxiety attack. Though I know this is unbelievablely hard to do in the moment because you are so focused on the panic.

Have you spoken to a doctor or a counsellor? Maybe it might be worth thinking about?

I really hope you have an amazing senior year and that something I said maybe helps…
Sorry if it doesn’t.

Hold fast friend,
Luna <3

I kinda talked about it my junior year with my guidance counselor , my band director knows about it . But just being infront of close to 1000 people performing and feeling excited and going into panic just had been enough for me

Hey Ashley,
I really hope you find a way through this. I truly believe you can. Try different things even it seems useless it may help
Hold fast,
Luna :heart: