1 year clean today!

I spent 7+ years getting high everyday as a way to deal with the emotional abuse I receive every second from my parents. Even with that abuse, just a few years ago, I couldn’t leave the house with one of them by my side, the thought of being outside alone caused me so many panic attacks. Being high was the only escape I had from the abuse, i had no one to go to.
A little over a year ago I tuned into a HeartSupport stream and admitted I needed help. The guys instantly read it out and the chat went crazy tagging me with comments and I remember thinking “oh crap. I’m not reading those, I can’t ever come back to this stream” because it was the first time I’d ever told anyone. But of course… All the chat did was greet me with love and support, the same way the guys did.
After a few months of major support - I started attending 12-Step meetings, going to therapy and talking to people who could help. After multiple relapsed, I was finally ready to stop killing myself.
Not only am I getting prepared to move out of my abusive home, today marks 1 year completely free from prescription pills… A goal I had from the very start, but, honestly didn’t think I’d ever hit.

Thank you @Danjo and @Casers for reaching out after I shared in that stream. You’ve been here right from day 1 and if it weren’t for you guys loving me and pushing me, I wouldn’t be part of such an amazing community and I wouldn’t be where I am now. I am so grateful for you both and I love you both so much.
Thank you to the whole community - for being my safe place and encouraging me everyday. You’re all awesome.

I love you all
Kayla.

14 Likes

Congrats @Kayla! You rock!! :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Way way way mega proud of you Kayla. Could you imagine a year ago telling yourself TODAY you’re one year clean? To see the massive mountains you’ve conquered? To feel the freedom you’ve gotten to experience? To see the amount of FIGHT in your soul?! You are an incredible human being, and I’m so privileged to gotten to have IRL met you and to be inspired by your journey. I love you friend :slight_smile:
-Nate

4 Likes

I :heart: this story! I’m so proud of how far you’ve come!

4 Likes

You Are An Inspiration to all! The Best View Comes After The Hardest Climb. One Step At A Time, One Day At A Time. Much Love to You My Friend!

4 Likes

Absolutely amazing @Kayla. You are an incredible human being

3 Likes

Congratulations! In the beginning it’s not an easy thing trying to get sober and staying clean. So I’m definitely proud of you for how far you’ve come. I have a little clean time under my belt. I was so used to it, getting drunk and high to deal with life.I thought it was helping,oh was I so wrong.the images on the news were a big trigger for me.so much negativity in the world.everyone wants to hurt each other.
Just remember it’s one day at a time,don’t worry about the past can’t change it. Don’t stress about tomorrow. Just for today. But this is a life long process. I’m am also a proud member of A.A. it’s change my life and saved my life. Your one of the miracles that made it. That’s freakin awesome! Some don’t get that chance. Some will never realize the beauty of sobriety. Some will never see that they don’t need a substance to live. You survived. Keep it going. Way more things are possible with a clear mind. For me,I just have to stay grateful everyday that I got a second chance. Even though it’s been more than a couple chances.
Faith in a higher power,music,and the “rooms” keep me going. Without listening to experience, strength, and hope, I would’ve been hopeless.
Stay strong and focused. You deserve to be happy.
You can’t often see the light through the darkness, but once your in the light, you never have to be in the dark again.

5 Likes

Congratulations again Kayla! I’m new to the community but you welcomed me so openly! I’m proud of you for overcoming. You’re an inspiration to us all!

4 Likes

COngrats we love you kayla

4 Likes

@Kayla I am so proud of you!!! This is awesome! You’re absolutely amazing! Thank you so much for being a part of our community!

4 Likes

@Kayla

Hugs and kisses from HeartSupport and I to you!

2 Likes

Keep up the good work Kayla!!

3 Likes

great! well done! keep it up as well as we know you can! x

1 Like

Congrats @Kayla ! I’m proud of you recovering, you are a great person.

1 Like