A reminder to myself and anyone who has moved to a new place

I moved to a new city in June of last year. It’s still a difficult transition. I don’t have a community or very many friends other than coworkers. As an adult it seems 10x harder to make new friends. It’s hard to be patient. I moved for more job opportunity as the last city I lived in didn’t have what I wanted. I was living in my last city for about seven years. I remember hating it at first and feeling lonely but ended up loving it. It is still home to me. It’s hard to find my place here now but I guess I have to trust that it will take time. I live five hours away from family; which is the furthest I’ve lived from them. I used to walk to my sister’s house right down the street when I needed company. I loved that we lived in the same neighborhood. Of course I still talk on the phone with friends and family but it’s not the same as being in-person. Adjusting is hard. Change is hard. Emotional growing pains hurt. I feel so impatient. I just want to find my place.

Be patient. To anyone else who has moved : be patient and give it a chance. I know I have learned to love a place before…it must be possible to love a new place again

5 Likes

hi rosethorn,

as someone who is looking to move out of my home state in the coming years, your post is an inspiration to me. although this new place for you isn’t the same as your previous home, your level-headed approach to understanding the patience it takes to love a new location gives me the strength to start making my own transition. so thank you for sharing this experience with your heartsupport community. change is so dang hard but i know that the patience you embody will make this new place incredibly special. sending you all my love and best wishes as you discover all the things this new city can offer you, causing it to become the background to a new chapter in your life. you got this, my friend!

love,
twix

1 Like

Hey, Rosethorn! Why is it so much harder making friends as an adult? It’s so annoying that way. You seem to have a really positive way to look at this even though you are feeling lonely right now and that’s really cool that you’re able to recognise that you can make friends you just have to figure out how. Do you want to become closer friends with any of your coworkers? I’ve tried hosting game nights to do that and inviting some people I meet around my city as well as coworkers I get along with. I recently moved somewhere new as well so I’m in the same boat as you with trying to find friends and community in my new place. If you don’t like games you could host movie nights, or wine tasting parties, or food tasting parties. Anything you enjoy doing. Invite other people to join you and you may find lots of people with common interests.

I think if you try and interact with people and keep trying to make friends and meet people that you will find your place. I wish you lots of patience as you search. Good luck out there, friend :hrtlegolove:

1 Like

Hi Friend, Thank you for your post, I want to say firstly how much I admire you for what you have written here, for what you have accomplished and for the inspiration you will have given to others by writing it. I have never left the town I was born in and cannot imagine ever doing so as it would be a frightening thing to do but if it did have to happen reading something like this would be just what I would want to give me a bit of hope that it would be ok in time. I hope you soon find your place (you are so bright, mature and together that I have no doubt it will happen much sooner rather than later) and that you find many years of happiness in this new place you now find yourself in. Once again thank you for sharing your story. Much Love Lisa x

1 Like

Hi Friend, living so far away from family and friends is very hard. I wonder if there are anything in your city that you can get involved in. Usually, there is something for everyone. It’s hard with covid still around so it makes it harder, but perhaps you can check that out. ~Mystrose

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.